• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Staying Positive

Hello,
My name is Kristin, I am almost 24 (birthday coming up) and I live in MA. I have been struggling with what Doctors thought was UC for about 9 years and have just recently discovered that it is Crohn's Disease.
I am also a recovering Alcoholic, coming up on a year. We like to drink coffee and eat candy, when the desire to drink arises, this is proven to be a huge downfall. And my self pitying brain tells me. WHAT?! Another restriction!

I was masking my symptoms for quite some time. And honestly have been more sick in the past year than ever before. I am stubborn as a mule and defiant as all hell against my doctors lol. I met with an ND/Homeopathic Doctor and have been following her remedies for the past few days, coupled with prednisone which I am tapering off of early because I feel like it is not helping and it can make you a little crazy and extra hungry which seems counter productive to me. But what do I know? I just don't support that pill for an ill kind of thing, for myself.

Normally I cannot sit still, I love working out and riding my bike and being outside. This disease has had me down for keeps for the past month, stuck in bed, missing work, and unable to really go anywhere or do anything. I don't like to be out for more than an hour or so because my symptoms flare so frequently.

I am starting the Dairy Free Intro Diet on the SCD plan today and am feeling hopeful that it will aid me me in my recovery. It is helpful to me that there is a clear cut plan of what to eat in the beginning because food was really starting to stress me out. I normally follow a vegan / gluten free diet but I have to put my morals behind me for a short stint. There are so many success stories with this diet and I am motivated to follow it and I hope that I can. I believe that a positive attitude can do wonders for recovery so I am doing my best to not let my head get the best of me.

Have a good day all!

Hello. I am sorry you are not feeling good right now. Prednisone has very nasty side effects but usually with the right dose it can get you in remission fast. Is not something you want to want to take for long time. Usually only until you find other treatment that works. I hope homeopathic works for you. It takes a while to find something that keeps you in remission. Once you do you will be able to do all the stuff you like. You are right, a positive attitude can do wonders. Best wishes.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear about everything you've been through but respect your resolve and ability to stay positive. Good for you!

In addition to the Prednisone and SCD, what does your treatment plan look like?

What are your current symptoms?

All my best to you.

I've only got one more dose of prednisone after today. My Docs wanted me on it for a month but I don't listen lol. The SCD intro diet is proving to be tough but I am feeling much better. I only experience discomfort and urgency right in the morning with far less blood than before. I feel like some of my energy is starting to come back too! I am definitely hungry though and miss my vegan diet BUT it looks like in time I can get back there if I follow the right steps with introducing new foods slowly.

If anything I am just happy to not have to leave work early or call out. Other than that I am working with an ND/ Homeopath and taking some supplements that she suggested and we are just going to go from there. This Diet definitely works, well for me at least.