• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stealth Crohn's

So one Sunday at the end of August I'm feeling some pain in my abdomen that doesn't go away. This continued for the rest of the day so I presented to my GP the following morning who then admitted me to hospital. This was about 0800. 12 hours later I'd had ultrasound, xray, CT and finally surgery. The surgery removed an unknown mass from my intestine and a resection followed.

A week later I'd become constipated and looked somewhat inflated. Within hours of being back in the UK I received more surgery, this time to drain a couple litres of bile due to a perforation of my small intestine and a temporary ileostomy was awarded.

A few days later I was diagnosed with Crohn's and a week later I left hospital nearly 2.5 stone lighter than when I was admitted overseas. This whole process lasting about two and a half weeks, until the middle of September just gone. Since leaving hospital I've gained back just over 2 stone and become quite comfortable with my stoma.

Quite an interesting experience, since I'd not displayed any notable Crohn like symptoms in the past. I was working 10 hours a day, doing about 2-3 hours of lifting and cardio along with steadily increasing my weight.

I hope thats brief, since I'm not one for posting my life story but I'd be interested if anyone has had stealth Crohn's too.

Hiya, well not me personally but not to sound cliche' I know a guy who told me his story. He woke up in agony one night and had his bowel ruptured. Crawled to a phone and called an ambulance. He spent a while in the hospital after emergency surgery. Never had a symptom before or after the surgery. Dr. told him no follow up meds except for b12 jabs. Has been symptom free every since. Til this day I am so surprised by his story. It sounds like a case of stealth crohn's don't you think?

Much peace.

Hiya, well not me personally but not to sound cliche' I know a guy who told me his story. He woke up in agony one night and had his bowel ruptured. Crawled to a phone and called an ambulance. He spent a while in the hospital after emergency surgery. Never had a symptom before or after the surgery. Dr. told him no follow up meds except for b12 jabs. Has been symptom free every since. Til this day I am so surprised by his story. It sounds like a case of stealth crohn's don't you think?

Much peace.
That doesn't sound pleasant. I'm guessing there wasn't a diagnosis of Crohn's? Lucky guy.

Actually they did tell him it was CD but he is a rarity. I have met several fellow crohnies ~ each so very different. Even some with more then 1 family member that have such individual symptoms. The one thing they all agree on is that it sucks big time. What helps so much is all the experiences shared - the encouragement and how symptoms can be so unique and varied from person to person.

Take care
Much peace

If*
Ain't that the truth I meet a fellow chronie here in town finally and the only symptom we shared in common was it sucks!!!! I have flu like symptoms that spread all over the body she had the big "d" constantly with severe abdominal cramps. It was almost like we had 2 seep rate diseasesits crazy!!

Yeah, seems the only thing that's a constant with Crohn's is no two cases are the same.

I'm quite content I got a diagnosis within a short period of time. It seems some people have spent years of trial and error before they get an answer. I cannot think of anything that may have caused it, maybe it was just a tipping point. I guess the quick treatment and diagnosis was an advantage of presenting at the ISAF hospital in Afghan.

I don't really feel bitter about being diagnosed. It has altered my career plans but the ambition and energy I had for one thing I'll commit to something else. It'd be a shame if I whined and bitched about having the condition without trying to improve my situation.

Amen we can't let it slow us down just gotta keep pushing on for me stewing in it always makes it worse espically in my mind take ur meds and move on even these forums are blessings and curses at the same time it helps to know ur not alone but then again it keeps u in this world of being sick. It's only as bad as u make it my friend

I also have a "stealth" case of Crohn's. I never had any symptoms other than a cranky abdomen. I've always had occasional constipation/diarrhea/gas, but nothing I ever felt I needed to seek medical attention for. At 50 years old, I had some significant abdominal pain that lasted for 3 days off and on before I saw my Dr. The CT scan showed strictures and dilations consistent with Crohn's. We were all baffled. Promethius was positive for Crohn's. I had a small bowel resection last week.
Weird disease.