• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stelara concerns

So I had Crohns at 19 lost half my colon and when into remission for 37 years. Now in my 50's it has returned. I started Humira for almost a year after being diagnosed with active crohns. Now my body has developed anti bodies to the drug and my doctor wants to put me on Stelara and methotrexate.

I am currently in remission and not having any effects of crohns.. well maybe a few cramps and a little diarrhea. Nothing serious.

Has anybody out there followed this path.. any advice....

scared of putting another drug into my body and methotrexate concerns me.

my little penguin

Staff member
So the bigger question would be
When was your last scope /imaging /fecal cal ?
What were the results ?
Minor symptoms can be minor outside but major inside
Or none at all inside

Stelara has the lowest infection risk of all the biolgics
It does take 6 months fine effectuve

My kiddo has been on it since August
Scopes showed mucosal healing with minimal
Inflammation in Feb (6 months after starting Stelara)

He has been on mtx for years
And was on humira plus mtx for over 5 years prior to that
No issues

Good luck

Last MRE showed no inflammation and reduce wall thickening For all purposes I am in remission. They want to put me on Stelara to keep my there.... not sure if I should just play the odds and hope that I don't have a flare or worse.

Scipio

I appreciate your dilemma. The problem with playing the odds is that the disease course, the response to any given therapy, and the side effects are quite variable from person to person. Thus, no one really knows what the odds are.