• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stelara for Crohn's question

Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm a 51 y/o female that as had Crohn's disease, among other autoimmune, since 20+ years. I've tried just about all medications, oral, injection & IV, that is available. Some have given me short improvement but this time my doc says that Stelara might be the last known available in my area.

My question is. Has anybody out there tried Stelara? I'm nervous due to the side effects, which are the same as Crohn's. I seem to have a negative reaction to everything.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds had No issues with the loading dose
He was given iv steriods at the same time
He is almost 14 and has had Crohns for over 7 years.
No side effects from it either
He gets the first injection soon

I started Stelara in May. I haven't had any side effects from it, even though I've reacted to everything else I've been on. I was doing fine until I caught a stomach bug at work, and two weeks later started mildly flaring. I'm on a Prednisone taper but will continue with the Stelara. It can take a while for it to take effect. The first infusion is faster than Remicade, and after that you just get an injection. I take it in the upper arm.

I have been in remission for 20 years but my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance. All my blood tests after taking Liada and perdisone have gotten much worse.
I am having horrible joint pain and my Crohn's spread into the large intestine tissues...
They just took more blood 16 tubes on Friday because of my recent test changes in 30 days...the medicine is not helping me at all.

I am 48 I MEVER miss work and I have been down and out over 30 days including ER visits...

I go back next week I really think I need to be on a much stronger medicine but everything has changed so much in 20 years...I feel lost

I have been in remission for 20 years but my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance. All my blood tests after taking Liada and perdisone have gotten much worse.
I am having horrible joint pain and my Crohn's spread into the large intestine tissues...
They just took more blood 16 tubes on Friday because of my recent test changes in 30 days...the medicine is not helping me at all.

I am 48 I MEVER miss work and I have been down and out over 30 days including ER visits...

I go back next week I really think I need to be on a much stronger medicine but everything has changed so much in 20 years...I feel lost
You may need to see a rheumatologist about the joint pain. I would talk to your doctor about what is going on. He may want to increase the prednisone . Are you only on prednisone and Lialda right now?