• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stelara increased muscle & joint pain

Hi all,

just a quick question, I was on Stelara every two months then moved to monthly Stelara shots for the last two years. Since moving to monthly I’ve slowly developed joint and muscle pains that I’ve never had before. The pain is in my lower back, feet and a little in my hands. MRI’s show no arthritic signs or obvious inflammation.
Has anyone experienced these side effects after being on Stelara for awhile?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been on 90 mg every 4 weeks for almost three years as well . He started at every 8 weeks.
He also has juvenile arthritis (spondyloarthritis) which cause muscle pain and joint pain .
In his hands , knees ,heels ,and ankles
He has muscle pain in his lower back
The higher dose Stelara helps his arthritis but has to be combined with methotrexate per his rheumatologist .
They dx by feeling his joints /tendons (scar tissue ) and ultrasound not mri

he was dx with arthritis 7 years ago while in humira for crohns
So the Stelara wasn’t the cause .
Maybe get a second opinion with a different rheumatologist
Spondyloarthritis present differently than classic Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Ds has been on 90 mg every 4 weeks for almost three years as well . He started at every 8 weeks.
He also has juvenile arthritis (spondyloarthritis) which cause muscle pain and joint pain .
In his hands , knees ,heels ,and ankles
He has muscle pain in his lower back
The higher dose Stelara helps his arthritis but has to be combined with methotrexate per his rheumatologist .
They dx by feeling his joints /tendons (scar tissue ) and ultrasound not mri

he was dx with arthritis 7 years ago while in humira for crohns
So the Stelara wasn’t the cause .
Maybe get a second opinion with a different rheumatologist
Spondyloarthritis present differently than classic Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Hi, did the methotrexate help your sons joint, tendons and muscle symptoms?

my little penguin

Staff member
Yes.
He was originally on humira when dx with juvenile arthritis associated with ibd.
The rheumatologist added methotrexate to humira .
When he switched to Stelara we were told to keep the methotrexate.
He also takes Celebrex (prescription nsaid that protects the gut ...) daily to help with his joints
So far no adverse Gi affects(scopes clean )
And uses gel heel cups in his shoes
He did pt as well for a while to learn what exercises are needed to keep things moving and reduce the muscle pain .
He does swim as much as possible (heated pool)

His arthritis is far worse than his crohns
Crohns is only mild
Arthritis and other EIMs (vasculitus etc..) warranted biologics