• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stem Cell Med Trial for Crohn's?

I recently talked to my doctor about my medication options as I have been taking 9 mg of Entocort since July and am finally beginning to taper off. He wanted me to start 6-mp but I didnt wanna take anything that had cancer as a possible side effect and talked him into giving me LDN. While we were talking he brought up a study that he was involved in and asked me if I would be interested...I asked what it was and he explained that they are doing trials for stem cell based meds for crohn's disease and that they are showing a lot of promise and so far a pretty low side effect profile (he said apparently they had an issue with blood clots in the 1st phase but they fixed it), he also explained that they weren't killing babies to make it ( I laughed when he said that but I live in TN and apparently he suggested this to a few others and they were completely against stem cell research even tho the stem cells are coming from amniotic sacs that would have been chucked anyway)

Apparently I'm not sick enough for his study right now (and oddly he seemed disappointed by this fact) but he says if the LDN doesn't work (the doc seemed quite sure that it wouldn't) and I end up back in a flare that I can get setup for his clinical trial. Does anybody know anything about stem cells for Crohn's? because I had never heard of this before my last appointment but the studies I've looked up really do seem promising.....

There are a few members that have logged their journey with stem cell treatment, one utilized autogulous stem cell transplant, and another had a Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation which is that his transplant using umbilical cord blood, I think.

Here is the link to the Hematopietic blog on the forum:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16284

I'm not familiar with other stem cell treatments but you might get some additional links to other types of stem cell treatments using the forum search bar.