• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Steriods, weigh the risks.

V

Valentina

Ive had enough, I was on pred for over 6 months and it didnt help at all, just took me that long to wean myself off them. Ive refused the last two infussions they wanted to give me with my remicade as well, I just think I react baly to it, changes my personality to the point I feel Im in a constant panic attack for two weeks at least after. and to be honest the last 2 remicade infussions, I have felt better for not having the steroids with it. more myself, and awake :)

S

Skinsfan1229

eww. The remicade treatments really shouldnt be skipped if at all possible. The risk to build antibodies significantly rises when stopping remicade and then starting again, granted if you stop for over a year then its incredibly more, but just stopping for a few is risky, you dont want to build antibodies so it doesnt work as well or you react to it and cant take it...by the way my GI told me what he does for people that build antibodies and they can still take it and it works...he just gets them to take certain meds at certain times and they counter-act side effects, let me know if you want me to inform you of what he said.

V

Valentina

oops, I meant I refused the IV steroids they wanted to give me with the remicade.. I would never refuse that stuff. its gold to me :)

S

Sparrow

ya you dont want to take steriods unless there are other options, i really really hate it now after what ive gone through with prednisone:mad2:

S

Skinsfan1229

Im one of the lucky ones, I swear by prednisone. Maybe liking prednisone has to do with severity of the disease?

V

Valentina

I think I could have learned to like pred.. if it had done a thing for me lol
I got nothing from it except the side effects, and now calcium every day for ever.
nothing worse than going through withdrawel and not being able to come off something for 6 months when you know there is no point to it :)