• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Steroid Withdrawal or Adrenal Insufficiency?

I have been on Prednisone for over ONE YEAR... I was at 20mg for 10 months and began to taper after starting Remicade. We paused at 10mg to let Remicade take effect and now taper is at 1.25mg. I will be completely off in 1-2 weeks.

I wonder if I am experiencing steroid withdrawal or adrenal insufficiency? I am experiencing tachycardia, palpitations, joint/muscle pain, fatigue, and severe anxiety/panic attacks that all started below 10mg taper. Recently started experiencing a return of what appears to be Crohn's symptoms with diarrhea and nausea. All of this is limiting what I can do, not able to do much away from home.

Anyone have experience with steroid taper after longer-term steroids? Any idea how long until this improves?

Thanks.
Whyclef

I was on a very slow taper too. Every time I would get real sick about three weeks after stopping the Prednisone. Don't let it go to long before you talk to your Dr.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lauren

Pretty much the same symptoms with each decrease. Have told my gi each time- the joint pain is horrible! Dr doesn't seem concerned. I am pretty concerned but unsure how to proceed.

Hi! I got a test from the hopsital to test my addrienal function because I have been on steriods for 10 years on and off and I simply could not get past 7.5mg without getting severe headaches.

Turns out my addrienal gland has gone to sleep and they have switched me to hydrocortisone 20mg twice at day as it is better to be on long term.