• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Steroids and emotion

Hi, I am currently having a flare up and cannot stop crying the smallest thing sets me off. Which is very hard when your at work. I went the hospital two days ago and have been prescribed steroids, I didn't react well last time I was on them but thought I'd give it ago, as I can not deal with the modulen. After taking steroids for one day I'm currently feeling worse, up through the night with stomach cramps and the rest. Is this normal? My mother also has crohns so
I am lucky in a way as have someone who knows what I'm going through, she says I need to give them chance. Waiting to have a colonoscopy which should be through soon. I'm new to this website but thought I'd give it ago as be nice to speak to other people with similar issues. I was originally diagnosed in 2011, after going back and forth to the doctors and being told I had IBS, after they got fed up of my and said they would refer me to the hospital for my own peace of mind. After bloody tests, all different types of camera they could not find anything until I has the colonoscopy. Apparently I am one of those awkward ones who doesn't appear in blood tests of biopsies. Does anyone else have this problem? Be nice to hear from you all.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hello Kimbar,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with the prednisone. I absolutely understand. I tend to get very emotional especially during the withdrawal period.

I invite you to visit an already created Support Group called The Miserable Prednisonites Club

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=49165

You will find plenty of people there you can relate to.

Have you discussed alternative options with your doctor? There is also a another steroid called Entocort which is designed to have fewer side effects than the traditional prednisone treatment.

Hope your flare goes away soon

Hi thanks for the reply, it is actually the entocort in on, think I just need to give it a few days see how I go. Ill have a look at that forum you recommended. Thanks Kim