• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticture in colon

Hi I am new to this forum so I am not sure if I am doing this right. I have had Crohn's since 1996 and am 53 years old. I had a consultation with a surgeon and he is suggesting that I need to remove my whole colon. This shocked me. I have heard of resections, but never the whole colon. I told him no. I am going to try remicade. I guess I was in denial all these years and never took any medicine on a consistent basis. I am currently on mesalamine, prednisone and imuran. I have a stricture in my Transverse colon. I had a cat scan and colonscopy. They could not get the camera through. Any advice. The surgeon agrees that I can try other options.

nogutsnoglory

If the surgeon agrees you should try other options and it's only a stricture, I don't understand why they want to do a colectomy. Definitely exhaust all medication options first, if that doesn't work see about a partial colectomy or strictureplasty. You want to avoid an ostomy bag and increased diarrhea and general surgical complications.