• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stiff and painful neck

nogutsnoglory

I have had a very stiff and painful neck the past few days. I'm not sure whether Cimzia can or is causing this. Anyone else experience this on Cimzia or another biologic?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I haven't taken Cimzia but I see swelling in the neck listed as a possible side effect. Its possible that the swelling could cause pain.

"swelling in your neck, underarm, or groin (this swelling may come and go)" http://www.drugs.com/sfx/cimzia-side-effects.html

I have a bulging disk in my neck so I tend to have pain there often but I didn't notice an increase in neck pain while I was on Humira or while on Remicade. Have you talked to your doctor about it?

nogutsnoglory

Thanks for looking into it. I haven't noticed any swelling along with the pain. I think I will need to bring this up to my doctor to be on the safe side.

I had a very stiff - to the point of immobile - neck with Infliximab.
It went through my jaw and neck and was rather painful.
And it was just on one side.

No problems with Humira though.

It was definitely a side effect.
The next dose gave me a seizure as it was being administered - so no more Infliximab for me.
I'd had two doses about ten years before - so they attributed both reactions to antibodies.
I was moved on to Humira and have enjoyed great success with this.

nogutsnoglory

Wow that's scary samboi. I woke up again with the neck pain and I never have it so I'm afraid it may be a side effect. I really don't want to stop Cimzia though.