• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still having problems after 2.5 weeks

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Is it uncommon for someone doing EEN to have issues (GI upset, stomach hurting when being fed) after 2.5 weeks? Could this just be part of her Crohn's cycle and it will just get better, or do I need to try to find a different formula?

I think that it is worth trying a different formula. Most of what I have read states that if EN is going to work, results will be seen within 10 days to three weeks. However, a person is sometimes sensitive to something in the formula. I tried three weeks on Ensure (by mouth) with no improvement, before switching to VivonexPlus. I now realize that I was sensitive to the milk products in the Ensure.

Is she showing improvement in other ways- weight gain, increased energy levels, less blood ( if she was having any)?

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
She was gaining about a pound a week for the first two weeks, but for the past three days she gets stomach aches, feels nauseous, feels "overheated" and needs to lay down. She has only been able to drink about 6 cans a day, and today is still working on her 2nd-3rd cans at 3:50 pm... She did feel she was getting more energy too, but hasn't had more than 3-4 good days in a row since starting.

I think tomorrow we are going to talk to the pediatrician about getting an NG tube to start the pump with other formulas she can't drink or start prednisone. We'll see what she has to say... Peds GI is on vacation until March 9.