• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still looking

Hi everyone, I put a post out a couple of weeks ago trying to find to find somebody else who also suffers with Crohns in the oesophagus or Duodenom. I am seeing my GI on the 29th of August, and as the medication that he has treated me with (nexium Double dose 40mg twice daily) has taken so long to kick in, I am looking for other treatments that have worked successfully for other sufferers. Thanks hope I hear from someone in the same boat.
Theresa.:)

Hi Terry,

I was just diagnosed a little over 5 weeks ago with Crohn's that literally seems to be everywhere (mouth, esophagus, stomach, duodenum, colon). I was told that some of the pill medications only target certain parts of the digestive tract, and therefore they weren't an option for me. I began only on steroids and a pill to decrease stomach acid called Protonix, but that didn't do a ton for me. I'm now on a biologic (remicade), steroid, and 6MP to try a more systemic approach. So far, I feel good, but i'm just at the beginning and haven't began tapering the steroid yet. Hope you get some relief soon!

Thanks alyssa519 for responding to my post, I will mention the drugs that you have quoted to my GI when I see him on Thursday. My biggest problem with this is that it is rare for crohns to come up outside of the bowel so the doctors don't know what to treat it with. Prednisone works ok when I have a flare in bowel, but seems to irritate the oesophagus area, so I need to find something that works on that area. Glad to hear that you are getting some relief, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you as you start tapering down off the steroids. best of luck to you. Theresa.

Heej Terry
I'm sorry to hear that your medication isn't working. I have just like Alyssa a Crohn that is everywhere. I'm sorry to say that I haven't found a medication that works but that doesn't mean it won't for you. If I were you I would look into biologicals. Hope you will find something that works for you soon! Good luck
Maud

Hi Maudddy, thank you so much for responding to my post. After being treated with a low dose (50mg) of 6'MP for 3 years reasonably successfully, I had a bad flare with my Crohns in 2012. My GI tried a few drugs Pentasa ..etc, which all made me nauseous, so he decided to double the dosage of the 6'MP over a 3 week period anyway to cut a long story short I had a rare reaction to it, and ended up with Neumonitis (severe inflammation in the lungs), so I can no longer take 6'MP or any of the drugs from the same family. I am quite wary of these drugs now, I am basically treated with normal stomach ulcer meds but find these don't bring me into remission, they only seem to hold it at a certain level, so symptoms are still there most of the time.