• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still suffering after colonoscopy

I had my colonoscopy 2 and a half days ago and I'm still suffering :( the pain today has been bareable but I couldn't stand for long. But now it's the end of the day it's worse again. My pain usually does increase nearer the end of the day normally but it's worse than usual. I've been passing gas as they said I would so I don't know if it's trapped gas still. I'm finding it hard to settle to bed or sit still and paracetomol is doing nothing. I don't want to go to A&E unless I have to as the kids are asleep, but more want to know if this is normal to feel like this. I feel pretty nauseous too, though that's not unheard of for me with abdo pain. I spoke to the clinic again today and they aren't a lot of help, just telling me to keep taking paracetomol.

I am going through the same! I have abdo pain and I still had all the liquid prep stuff come out even after the colonscopy. I called and they said that the abdo pain was from the biopsys that were taken. I found peppermint tea to help relieve some of he cramping. I really think you should go to an urgent care. Is the pain much different than what your usual pain is?

It should go away soon might still have a lot of gass still trapped somewhere, and also if they took biospies that could be why. Id say it took me alot longer to feel better after my second one than the first one. If it gets any worse id say go see ur gp and get it checked out.

My body must be trying to get into some sort of sync again I think and it's really letting me know about it. I passed a lot of black D and and now sore everywhere abdo, especially where the biopsies were taken. Gosh this all so much fun. I wish I was as brave as my daughter with her gastro problems but I'm behaving like a wuss! Thank you for putting up with me

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Black stool is usually a sign of old blood. Dunno if maybe you bled a lot during the biopsies or what but its definitely something you'd want to tell your GI about to see what they have to say about it. If it doesn't go away or if it turns more and more red then you may want to get checked out in the emergency room (or if the nausea and/or pain gets worse). I hope you start to feel better soon! It usually took me a couple of days to start feeling better but I just had minor fatigue and cramping.

Thanks Crabby. Pain is still there mainly in the same place, lower right side of abdo, which is isn't near where they went with the colonoscopy ( they barely got anywhere ). I'm wondering if they've upset the adhesions I have from my c section and that's what it is? I don't know but I might get it checked soon. It's very painful

Terriernut

Penquin, I dont think you should be in pain there. Especially since they didnt get that far. I really think you need to go back to the Dr, soon.
Misty

I've seen a doctor at the out of hours GP. They think it's appendictis. Got to go to A&E and see a surgeon :(

The surgeons don't think it's appendicitis. Bloods are normal dispite temperate. They sent me for a chest and abdo xray to look for perforations/air/twisted loops in bowel. I've been given painkillers and a shot and put on fluids overnight. Not allowed to eat just incase. So no idea what's wrong still really. Waiting on xray results still

Well I'm still here. Xrays didn't show anything significant thankfully but the doctor I saw this morning didn't expect to apparently. I barely slept last night in too much pain. They've increased my painkillers which is having side affects of making my body numb and itchy, but they've reduced the pain at least. Ive been monitored all day, kept drugged up and have an ultrasound scan tomorrow. Could possibly be my ovaries now apparently?! But they're not really sure at all. Will repeat bloods tonight and see if that has changed. So for now I'm still here.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry. Wish that test showed at least something but at least you've got another test scheduled and are in a good place. A lot of people try to ride stuff through and stay at home till things get really bad when they should get to the hospital right away. I'm glad you listened to your gut (no pun intended :p). Keep us posted, sorry you're going through this. *hugs*

Terriernut

At least you are in the right place! Although I'm sorry you have to be there. Lets hope the CT scan shows what is up.
Misty

I hope you feel better and that they find out exactly whats going on...I am sending hugs and good wishes your way!

Ultrasound showed appendicitis, cyst on my right ovary and free fluid everywhere and in my uterus the sonographer said :( Waiting for the doctors to give me proper diagnosis, doesn't look great though. Bit shocked there's so much wrong but glad they've found the cause for my awful pain. Thanks for your messages xx

Crohn's Mom

Awe penguin I'm sorry you're going through this :(
At least you have an answer though and they can fix it.
Try not to worry about the ovary too much, it could just be inflamed as a result of the possible ruptured appendix. The surgeon thought he was going to have to remove Gab's right ovary because they thought there was a mass on it, but it turned out it was around it when they opened her up and the ovary was fine.

Best of luck to you!!
Thanks for updating while you're there :)
hugs,
~T~

Terriernut

At least they've found the cause, it can be fixed now. I'm sorry that you have these issues, but they are all correctable surely?

You'll be on the mend hopefully very very soon! Please keep us posted! Please get better soon!

Misty

Hello, sorry it's taken a few days to come back and let you know how I am.

I became very unwell after the ultrasound and it was suspected, and later confirmed, that the 'free fluid' was in fact blood hemorrhaging from the cyst on my ovary. They took me to theatre and it took over 3 hours to sort out the mess inside me. They managed to save my ovary after removing the cyst and cleaned out the blood inside my abdomen. One of my c-section adhesions had also grown all the way to my back somehow so that had to be cut out too. My appendix was ok and was just being irritated by all the blood around it from the cyst, so that's been left in there.

I am out of hospital now and so so glad to be back home recovering, even if I can do is lay on the sofa or in bed. It's going to take weeks to recover the doctors say but I'm just glad it's over now and I can just go back to worrying about my usual abdominal troubles

Crohn's Mom

Hi Penguin !

I'm glad to hear your home recovering now :)
Also, glad they saved your ovary!

Rest, rest, rest now!
:ghug::ghug::ghug:

Terriernut

Hiya Penquin. Glad you are recovering, go easy! Sounds like it was a pretty major op there.

Hope someone is waiting on you hand and foot!
Misty

Wow! So glad you listened to your symptoms and got checked out. It's too easy for us Crohnie's to try to deal with the pain, and it's pretty scary when it's something you weren't expecting. Hoping you have an easy recovery.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm glad you got it all taken care of and that you're doing well considering. I wonder why they left your appendix in while they were in there. During my resection they just removed mine so they wouldn't have to worry about it later. Its a useless organ anyway.