• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still undiagnosed.

Hi all

I am new to this forum so I thought I would share my story.
I have been suffering with the symptoms of Crohn's for the past six years. It started with having a pain in the right side of my abdomen and under the right side of my ribs, D and sickness. I went to a & e because I was in so much pain. They did blood tests and gave me an Endoscopy they could not find anything. They then said it was my Gallbladder and a bit of fatty liver that was causing my symptoms. I was in hospital for seven days on painkillers and antibiotics I started to feel better so they sent me home with painkillers and that was that. Within a couple of days the symptoms all came back another stay in hospital to be told the same things as last time and I was sent home.

I got over that bout of illness and had nothing wrong until seven months later it all started up again, they still did not know what was wrong just said my blood tests showed inflammation somewhere but they did not know where sent home with painkillers. I have had several bouts of this over the years and managed to get over them.

About six months ago it all started up again and is getting worse every day. I now have all the same symptoms only now I also have a very sore mouth and a very annoying irritation in my throat that makes me cough until I am sick. I was sent for a colonoscopy two days ago they could not do it properly as I was in so much pain when they were doing it. They have now said I have to have another one only this time they will sedate me. I am so fed up with all of this the doctors make me feel like they think I am lying to them.

Sorry for rambling on and thank you for reading my story.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear this has gone on so long.

Sending you my support. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Hi Daisy I have no idea they never offered it to me, I would never do that again it was so painful and has made me feel very poorly since. They said they could not carry on because I was in so much pain and they said I was so blocked up they could not go any further.

You should have been offered it. I always ask for sedation eve when I had a sigmoidoscopy that doesn't go as far as a colonoscopy. And I insist on the maximum. It is just unbearable without when you are sore. Did you do prep for the last one? I always have Picolax which clears me out really well. I am so sorry you had such a dreadful experience but trust me it will be much more comfortable with sedation.

I have to say I am dreading the next one after my first experience. Yes I had the prep but they said it obviously was not strong enough to clear me out completely so they are going to give me more next time. I am glad I have joined this forum just you reassuring me that it is not so bad if you have sedation has eased my mind a lot and I have read on here that other people say it is ok so long as you are sedated.

My other advice is go on low residue about four days before the procedure. The less fibre you have, the easier it is with prep. Drink loads of water and electrolyte replacement to,stop dehyradation. Also try deep breathing during the procedure, I do try but they still had to give me more pain medication.