• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma revision surgery

Have crohns. Had colon and rectum removed in 1984. In the last couple years having pain where rectum was. Lots of pelvic pain. Also had hysterectomy in 1988 from crohns complications. Dr thinks my pain is because my stoma is retracted. Worried about having another major surgery where they cut my belly open again. Worried how my new stoma will be. I'm 56 and worried about how I will heal.

Hi. I am sorry for all you have been through. There is a great surgery section in this forum. There are a lot of supportive people here.

Hi Izzy,

I just had a stoma revision surgery last October. The surgery went really well, the "fixed" stoma has been working great, less problems w/ leaks & the wafers and bags last *much* longer. During the first week my intestines had some issues functioning or "waking up" again & I had to be admitted to the hospital to continue recovering with the help of an IV. Aside from that hiccup everything has been great, definitely an improvement.

Did they cut your stomach open or do micro surgery? How long did you have your last stoma? How long were you in the hospital and how long was your recovery time?