• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma stitches hurt

Hello! I just got my ileostomy almost 2 weeks ago and the stitches around my stoma are very tender!!! Is this normal? Escecially when my bag gets a little heavy.
Will this go away? It's not red or irrited it looks like. Just very very tender.

It's very normal anywhere up to six weeks. I've had two illeostomy surgeries s nd both times the same. You had to remember the stitches will take longer to heal a around your stoma than say one on your tummy as your removing a bag from it all the time, stool can leak unknowingly and of course when you clean you wipe near it. I wouldn't be worried because its not usual you'd have stitches and then hang some thing from them.

I would suggest emptying more often, keeping the area nice a nd clean and try not to remove your bag if not needed this will give it a chance to heal.

I wish you the best of luck

And just re reading your bottom note we have had the same surgery recently so any questions shoot as I had mine on June. 27th so couple months ahead of your recovery

Wonderful!!! I'm so glad to hear that. That's kind of what I figured but I thought, better to ask.
How are you feeling since your surgery? Hopefully great!

Hi Jenna

Welcome to the Ostomy Club. Like BM, I think that it is quite normal for your stoma stitches to be still hurting. Remember that your new friend had to start working from the very beginning and it moves and stretches and contracts all the time.

It's good to be able to ask a non professional someone who has been there before. Sometimes I find them the most valued answers.

I'm feeling ok my stoma is healed my scare down my torso to my pelvis is healed although I still have days it itches and is red :ywow:

Bu all in all I'm doing well....I do however have a few post surgical complications I'm having to deal with and the prospect of new surgery is a little scary but you have to do what you have to do.:ysmile:

Terriernut

Yes, mine did the same too. The stoma nurse had to cut them for me. They didnt disolve on their own like they were supposed to and they really hurt.

Have your stoma nurse take a look at them next time, some of them may need to be removed. I experienced instant relief once she removed mine.

Thanks Susan2!!!

I agree bottomless mummy people who have been there tend to give much better advice. I'm sorry your still having troubles. You have a great attitude!

Terriernut I will definitely ask my stoma nurse to take a look because its only a couple and man do they hurt!!!

I had the same problem once they were out the relief was instant!!! Misty suggested stoma powder before they were taken out and I found this helped me and is still good now while the skin is healing
Hope this helps :)

I had the same problem once they were out the relief was instant!!! Misty suggested stoma powder before they were taken out and I found this helped me and is still good now while the skin is healing
Hope this helps :)
I love stoma powder! It's good for so many things. Use it on regular cuts and scrapes too.