• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma stitches...

I recently had a right hemicolectomy and due the crohns inflammation doctors were unable to join me so I've ended up with a temporary stoma. A bit of a shock but I think it's all going well and I can eat now without pain (was on a liquid diet 6weeks before the op).
One of the main problems I have is irritation around the stoma site where the stitches are. The stoma nurse tried to remove some (we got about 4 out) but the rest were too painful and were crazy stitches the were interlinked some what randomly and matted together (not sure what the surgeon was one ...)
They are meant to be dissolvable how long should this take (they are purple and quite thick)?
Should I try and have a district nurse remove them?
And any tips on how I should look after them as I clean the area it's always sore, inflamed, itchy and on the verge of looking infected

Also any stoma care tips/ useful devices would be appreciated as I'm a complete newbie and this was unexpected

Thx

Terriernut

Hi MissOJ! I'm going to move this over to the stoma subforum (if I can) and I think you'll have alot more response.

I had to get my stoma stitches cut as well. They didnt disolve like they were supposed to. Wow did it hurt! You can have the stoma nurse or district nurse cut them out, but take some pain killers before they touch you is my advice.

You need some stoma powder on that sore skin to help heal it up. I use the convatec powder. It really helps. But the skin is going to remain sore until those stitches are out.

(I'm going to try and move the thread now)
Edit: Cant move the thread, no power here. So...here's the link for our very own subforum! We are happy to help!
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46