• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma stitches

I recently had a right hemicolectomy and due the crohns inflammation doctors were unable to join me so I've ended up with a temporary stoma. A bit of a shock but I think it's all going well and I can eat now without pain (was on a liquid diet 6weeks before the op).
One of the main problems I have is irritation around the stoma site where the stitches are. The stoma nurse tried to remove some (we got about 4 out) but the rest were too painful and were crazy stitches that were interlinked some what randomly and matted together (not sure what the surgeon was on...)
They are meant to be dissolvable how long should this take (they are purple and quite thick)?
Should I try and have a district nurse remove them?
And any tips on how I should look after them as I clean the area it's always sore, inflamed, itchy and on the verge of looking infected

Also any stoma care tips/ useful devices would be appreciated as I'm a complete newbie and this was unexpected

Thx

Last edited:

Terriernut

Thanks for posting over here, sorry I couldnt move the thread from the surgery subforum.

I hope the district or stoma nurse are sorting out getting your stitches out. Sorry to say it seems a fairly common occurance that they dont disolve on their own. (like I said in the other thread...take a pain pill 30 mins before they are due to remove them) But I will say when they do take them out, there is instant relief!

There is alot of advice in here to be had about sore skin, bags, recovery. Have a good nose around.

Have they said how long you are going to have your stoma? It must have been quite a shock. Quite a few of us here have had the same shock I'm afraid, so you are in good company!

Thanks - I think I will wait the week for my next appointment with the stoma nurse to get the stitches out, will definitely take your tip on the pain killers beforehand!!! The surgeon said I will have to wait about 2-3months for the reversal but its really dependant on how quickly the inflammation goes down. I've shrunk from 56mm to about 44mm in 2weeks when I measured today with the cut out guide, so hopefully my innerds are shrinking at the same rate.

I will have a good search around here to get some more advice, and I'm current spending time sending off for as many useful samples as I can find :)

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated

F

Terriernut

Yeah....stomas are 'shit talking' big mouthed brats. Especially when they are new! They do quiet down alot though at about the 4 month mark, sometimes sooner.

I used calomine lotion on the areas that were sore, I tried all the medical wipes and powders that I was given but that was the only thing that did the trick.

I have had mine for a few months now and you get used to the noises and quiet times.

All the best.

Yeah....stomas are 'shit talking' big mouthed brats.

nearly lost my mouthful of tea , hahahah