• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma Support: Good advice for you!

Terriernut

Here is a requested thread for good advice for new or old members to post. I'll sticky it so it's at the top. Come on everybody, post your advice whether it be for rings, odour control, favourite manufacturer, longer wear advice, whatever you think could help everyone.
:ycool:

Eating seafood is just as stinky, if not more so, going out as it is going in.

Eating beet root gives you a pouch that appears to be full of blood, but everything is just fine. Would make for a great Halloween prank, though. ;)

My stoma has a good spout on it that hangs down when it is not active. I had a hard time figuring out a good way to apply strip paste when changing it, so the stoma nurse told me about using a square of guaze wrapped around it. It works great for moving Sideshow Bob out of the way and also catches spurts while going through all of the steps for a bag change.

Also, don't be afraid to handle your stoma, just be gentle. They do bleed easily when bumped, but the bleeding generally subsides within a minute or less.

Terriernut

Don't forget with a new stoma that they will shrink! Measuring your stoma every time you change the baseplate or bag is very important for the first 6 weeks. (it can shrink for a longer period too) You will save yourself alot of leaks and sore skin if you do!

Don't cut the opening too tight! (causes leaks!) Nor too large. (Causes leaks!) It should fit very nicely around your stoma, but not squeeze it.

If you have just had surgery, and have to care for the wound as well, remember stoma first, dressing second.

Good thread! :) :)

For me, eating mushrooms causes a big build up of food around the stoma on exit. Only mashing them down to next to nothing while eating alleviates this!

If using stomahesive paste around the stoma, try applying it around on the wafer instead around the hole you cut just before sticking it on. I find it's a lot more accurate and easy to do. :)

annawato

Staff member
If you have excoriation (sore, weeping skin) use a little bit of stoma powder, brush off excess and then dab with skin barrier before applying flange (baseplate).
Always make sure skin is dry before putting skin barrier on and that that dries before applying flange. I use a few layers of skin barrier, drying between each coat with a hairdryer. i use welland skin barrier cos it doesn't sting and it stays moist to do a few layers.
Paste to stop leaks stings on sore skin but it only lasts a few minutes and its worth putting up with cos it helps prevent leaks and also helps heal the skin. If you just can't bare it use a ring like eakin seals but I find I always get leaks with seals. Other people find them good. (i think).
If you are getting leaks, look at the baseplate when you remove it - you can see where the output has escaped and then know to use extra paste in those spots. My stoma nurse told me today that the flange sticks well to the paste (just don't cover the whole area). I'll let you know tomorrow if this is true cos she put on more than I've ever used before!
And as Gav said applying paste to flange is a lot easier unless you are using it to fill scars or creases.

Put your base plate, (wafer, barrier,) what ever you want to call it, and or rings in your bra while your getting supplies ready to change. It warms them up and makes them stick better!

PsychoJane

I've always hated to sit down on the toilet to empty my pouch so I started using the disposable closed pouches and empty them from the top. It seems messy but it is less messy than emptying it from the "normal" down side with the ones that you can empty. I am a huge fan of coloplast sensura product. It is so far the only ones that has proven a 100% odor protection for the time desired. I can get 5-8 days out of them even though they are meant to be disposable.

When I really need odor protection for the fear of embarrassment, I carry some peroxide in a hair spray travelling bottle that I spray in my bag. It helps reducing the smell the next time. That along with drinking a coffee at the end of my meal, it helps a lot. Then you toss some incense match/paper and you are good to go.

Before emptying, put a few pieces of paper on the water, it avoids noise and splashes.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Put your base plate, (wafer, barrier,) what ever you want to call it, and or rings in your bra while your getting supplies ready to change. It warms them up and makes them stick better!
So you're saying I'll have to start wearing a bra after surgery? :wink:

I sit on the toilet sideways, with my stoma side facing the bowl. That way when I empty, the pouch is hanging right over the bowl.

Oh! And I prefer to wear my pouch out of my pants but its annoying when people stare at it so I bought some pouch covers that we're custom made to the size of my pouch. They had a ton of different fabrics and now it just looks like some fabric hanging out from under my shirt.

Oh! And I prefer to wear my pouch out of my pants but its annoying when people stare at it so I bought some pouch covers that we're custom made to the size of my pouch. They had a ton of different fabrics and now it just looks like some fabric hanging out from under my shirt.
Same here, JennaRae! And my doctor complimented me on my way cool pouch cover. :)

I get mine at Gus gear.net they have a bunch of fabrics and can find one for you if you want something specific. They're custom made to your bag. I got mine for $17.95 a piece I believe.

annawato

Staff member
If you are having problems with liquid output the first thing to try is loperamide with your doctors approval. You can also thicken output with dietary changes such as peeled apples and apple sauce, marshmallows, bananas, rice, pasta and noodles, smooth peanut butter, sago and tapioca, white bread and plain biscuits/crackers, jelly products.
Basically any soluble fibre will help as it absorbs liquid. Google soluble fibre to find choices that agree with you remembering that for 6-8 weeks post surgery you need to be careful about what you eat so you don't cause blockages.

Metamucil or benefibre are made from soluble fibre so can help - sounds counter intuitive I know since they help constipation, but the hospital put me on to them.

And yes I can hear everyone laughing since despite the above advice and following it I still have liquid output. I'm beginning to think its all the tea I drink - its got to come out somewhere but its so much more pleasant than water, or worse, the sweet salty water I am supposed to drink!

annawato

Staff member
if you have a high output you need to be especially vigilant about keeping up your fluids. My gastro gave me the following recipe -
1 litre (just over 1 1/2 pints) water
8 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
juice of a citrus fruit

or, 300ml (1/2 pint) powerade or sports drink
300 ml water
1 teaspoon salt

you should aim for 2000- 2500 mls (3-4 pints) of liquid each day. Caffeine drinks dont count and 2 litres of it should be from gastrolyte or powerade mixture.
Liquids include water, cordial, juice, milk, soup, soft drink (soda), nutritional drinks, sports drinks, mineral water.

Good luck keeping to this, perhaps high output is easier to deal with, but you do need to be aware of electrolyte problems if you have a high output. Adding salt to everything helps unless you need to medically follow a low sodium diet in which case talk to your gastro or hospital nutritionist.

Last edited:

maria

I love you God.
Eating seafood is just as stinky, if not more so, going out as it is going in.

Eating beet root gives you a pouch that appears to be full of blood, but everything is just fine. Would make for a great Halloween prank, though. ;)
SOoo Funny I did that to a nurse freaked her out!! but it was just juice :)

Hi! I agree with Terriernut that it's important to check/ measure the stoma size, but in my case it's got bigger not smaller (according to the stoma nurse that's not uncommon?). I started off at 35mm in hospital, which went quite quickly through 38mm (first check up) and then jumped to 50mm by my third check up. When I saw the stoma nurse this week (because my skin is sore and bleeding) as well as help and advice on this she also measured again and recommeded a further increase to 55mm! At this rate (I've only had the stoma six months) I think I may end up with a drainpipe! ;)

For yeast/ fungal skin infections around Stoma try myalanta. Just dab it on wit a cotton ball, then use a hair dryer to dry the skin, I also sprinkle on some 'resolve' foot fungal powder, blow off the excess and then dab on skin barrier like cavilon before applying flange.

Fingers crossed it seems to be working at the moment.

immodium helps on a night out to slow down output

I sometimes eat a bananna or marshmellows if i wanna slow down for a change

I used to drop an altoid in my bag for the smell at first. now i dont even smell it when i empty, besides the more you do it the faster you do it.

I put a little piece of papertowel in the fold because i get some kind of poo condensation when i unfold. does anyone else get that?

Eggs smell horrible! I wear a two piece to let out gas easily....hmmm what else?

thats all for now, hope it helps someone lol

My stoma is oddly shaped and we weren't getting good results trying to measure it. My girlfriend took some tissue paper (the gift wrapping kind, shiny side toward the belly) and pressed down...voila! Instant outline! We went just outside the wet with a fine sharpie and then transferred to cardstock paper. Boom. Custom template, easy as 1..2..3.
:)

My stoma is oddly shaped and we weren't getting good results trying to measure it. My girlfriend took some tissue paper (the gift wrapping kind, shiny side toward the belly) and pressed down...voila! Instant outline! We went just outside the wet with a fine sharpie and then transferred to cardstock paper. Boom. Custom template, easy as 1..2..3.
:)
That's really smart. Great idea!!

Well, my stoma has continued expanding - longer and wider - now having to cut to 60mm and have had to change to a new (70mm) flange two-piece bag as the flange on the smaller system was digging in to the stoma. Apparently (two stoma nurses have told me) this is due to my (loop) ileostomy becoming prolapsed. It hurts most of the time now - and particularly if I cough or sneeze - and I've had to give up lifting anything even moderately heavy as I can feel it push out (and hurt) more. I'm waiting to see the surgeon again, but have to wait for two more months before I can get an appointment (I'm glad the NHS covers the cost, but the system is terribly slow if you're waiting for an operation). Ah well, just to have to be a patient patient I suppose! :(

Can anyone help me please.. My stomal nurse has tried many different bags, pastes, glues, ect..none will work I keep leaking 😥 my stoma was done in a emergency op and the position of the mouth of the stoma is in the crease of my skin so basically nothing works., I was hoping if someone could help on something that may work! As u can see my skin is very inflamed and sore and can not heal because of all the bags & base plates coming off and on.. I'm still in hospital on my 3rd week docs have discharged me but it's up to the stomal nurse to fully discharge and she won't until she can get something to finally work.. So please can anyone suggest something or products ect
Thank you

i'm so sorry you are having so much trouble!!!

I'm not sure there is a whole lot that we can offer you in the way of help. From everything you have said in other posts, it seems to me that the problem is that your stoma does not stick out far enough from your abdomen to prevent the output from sitting on your skin. You need a bag with a convex wafer that will help the stoma stick out more and also some sort of wafer to fill in the dips on your abdomen, especially on the skin nearest the incision line. It also looks like you might have a yeast infection. Definitely ask your stoma nurse about this. You may end up needing a second surgery to bring the stoma out further from your abdomen.

nogutsnoglory

-Putting baby oil or water in my bag to have a cleaner pouch empty.

-Eating peanut butter to slow down output.

-Using cologne to mask a tiny pouch odor.

I'm sure I have more but I'll start with these.

PS Thanks Nyx. I deleted the other thread.

Nyx

-Putting baby oil or water in my bag to have a cleaner pouch empty.

-Eating peanut butter to slow down output.

-Using cologne to mask a tiny pouch odor.

I'm sure I have more but I'll start with these.

PS Thanks Nyx. I deleted the other thread.
Thanks! I know I'm a moderator, but I have no idea how to move posts and all that jazz...lol

fuzzy butterfly

Hi you all.. Stomahesive paste on flange worked great for me very few leaks also helped with soreness around stoma. I cleaned with warm water dried added stoma powder brushed of excess than applied pouch(one piece). If you put paste on flange b4 u start to take off old one it will sting less as any alcohol in it will dissipate. Also if you peg your disposable bag to your pants,knickers,pj bottoms etc you can drop dirty wipes,pouches etc into it. If stoma outputs at same time just hold bag out a little and lean forward n it just goes in bag.

Tie up n dispose of it when ur done. Quick. clean n easy. A little peppermint oil can also help with smells, put a drop in pouch b4 applying. Hope these tips are useful. Best wishes

fuzzy butterfly

Ang71. You look to have a very concaved stoma there. It will be difficult to fit with most pouches, but i have heard of a new mouldable pouch which may help and fit better. I think they are made by either coloplast or convatec. If you google ostomy pouches you may find out who makes them, then ask stoma nurse about getting some for you to try!! . Of course this is said assuming you havent already heard of mouldable pouches. Best wishes

fuzzy butterfly

Hi again another thought or 2 . To stop my pouch from rubbing the top of my leg i used to tuck the foldable closure bit into the top of my knickers it also helps to support the weight n stop the draging feeling of it hanging loose. Also pouch covers are available on prescription (if you didnt know) just ask your stoma nurse. Not sure how many and how often you can get them. I got 3 white lacy ones but i think you can get 4/6 plain ones. Only had my ileostomy for 12mths so didnt need to see if i could get.
more. No harm in asking though eh!! You can also ring coversure on 0800 220 300 and ask them about covers on prescription. Best wishes to all..