• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma Support Group

My dog would just try and eat my dam bag and then tell me its leaking lol
Filthy creature
Makes me think of a story that's sort of related, my sisters hubby had a springer and he used to take it on long walks. One day he was out and was bustin for a crap. The dog was off in the woods so he found a tree to do his business behind. On snapping one off he stood up to find a leaf or two only to turn round and find his dog had crept up and snatched the log as it fell and continued to wolf it down in one go. Needless to say the dog didn't gt any kisses for a wee while.
Disgusting story but for some Reason it comes up at Christmas every year:yfaint:

Exactly what I was thinking. :eek:

My bag doesn't seem to smell that much. I do notice the smell when I change the bag, but the times I've had leaks I don't remember being particularly aware of a smell. The first I knew about it was when I felt something warm running down my stomach - warm and wet. I wish it would have smelled a bit earlier, then I might have noticed it before it went so far!

My dog finds the noises my stoma makes fascinating for some reason. My stoma makes an embarrassing fart noise and my dog comes and sits and stares at it lol. I guess she thinks that in case I'm not embarrassed enough by the noise, she'll come and stare at my bag to make sure even more attention is drawn to me. :p

My dog couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from and was concerned. Once she realized it was me, it freaked her out and she left the room quickly!

nogutsnoglory

These pet stories are hilarious. Atleast they don't judge us and aren't grossed out by our sounds and smells. Our stomas are entertaining for them.

Nyx

Kids and pets! My stepkids thought my stoma was hilarious when I first got it. They'd always ask me to make it fart...lol

Kids and pets! My stepkids thought my stoma was hilarious when I first got it. They'd always ask me to make it fart...lol
This made me think of how I'm going to explain this to my nephew - he's not old enough to understand yet, but he also has bowel problems, which I think will be hard for him in a year or two when he starts school and he'll be the only kid still in nappies. Maybe if I teach him that my stoma is something to laugh at and not to be embarrassed about he'll find it easier to accept his own problems. It does worry me because I developed bowel problems in my teens and found the embarrassment excruciating for a long time. I'm not sure whether very young kids would find it easier to laugh about than teenagers.

That's a great idea! If he can laugh at his problems now, then by the time he is a teenager, it will just be second nature to find the humor and "normalcy" in whatever may come at that time.

Nyx

This made me think of how I'm going to explain this to my nephew - he's not old enough to understand yet, but he also has bowel problems, which I think will be hard for him in a year or two when he starts school and he'll be the only kid still in nappies. Maybe if I teach him that my stoma is something to laugh at and not to be embarrassed about he'll find it easier to accept his own problems. It does worry me because I developed bowel problems in my teens and found the embarrassment excruciating for a long time. I'm not sure whether very young kids would find it easier to laugh about than teenagers.
Young kids definitely find it easier. My stepdaughter was 4 when I got my stoma. Poop jokes never get old. Just sayin'. Just be open and honest about it, and give enough information that they can understand. I just told Emily that I poop into a bag that's attached to my stomach. I showed her the bag and she went "cool!". And that was the end of that conversation...lol If they see that you find it normal and no problem, they won't have a problem with it. Just my 2 cents.

omg some of these :') my cats dont give a damn about my bag. I dont exactly show it off to themthough, even if its hanging out my pj's lol. I really want to get a dog (for at my dads, the cats are at my mums. So many people say they help when your ill and Ive wanted one forever. Years ago we were actually going to get a dog, we even got a car with a boot built for dogs but my brother is scared of any dog that jumps or barks :/

omg some of these :') my cats dont give a damn about my bag. I dont exactly show it off to themthough, even if its hanging out my pj's lol. I really want to get a dog (for at my dads, the cats are at my mums. So many people say they help when your ill and Ive wanted one forever. Years ago we were actually going to get a dog, we even got a car with a boot built for dogs but my brother is scared of any dog that jumps or barks :/
I love dogs - I couldn't live without mine! I've had them all my life and they are my absolute favourite animal and you'll bond with a dog in a way you could never hope to do with any other animal - and I've had plenty, from fish to horses, when I was a kid and had good health, collecting and breeding every animal I could think of was kind of my obsession. I don't have the health to want all those animals anymore, I wouldn't want all that responsibility now, but my dog is my baby, and I'm closer with her than with any of my previous dogs.

But: it's incredibly important that you have time to dedicate to a dog, and places to give them plenty of exercise. It's not fair to leave a dog alone for hours every day. But if you or your family have the time, owning a dog will be one of the most rewarding things you can do. But you might have to be careful if you cats or brother wouldn't like it. ;)

When I was having my stoma surgery, the things I missed most during my long hospital stay were my dog and my bed!

My dad doesn't want me to get a dog until my stoma is reversed, but as I was considering keeping my stoma for longer than planned that's like the worse thing he could say. Ive got to choose between keeping my stoma, and not having surgery but no dog or holidays (yep not allowed on holiday with a stoma :/ stupid dad) or loosing my stoma, having surgery to knock me backwards, have to miss extra school, but ill get holidays and maybe a dog. How do I choose between health and happiness :(

My dad doesn't want me to get a dog until my stoma is reversed, but as I was considering keeping my stoma for longer than planned that's like the worse thing he could say. Ive got to choose between keeping my stoma, and not having surgery but no dog or holidays (yep not allowed on holiday with a stoma :/ stupid dad) or loosing my stoma, having surgery to knock me backwards, have to miss extra school, but ill get holidays and maybe a dog. How do I choose between health and happiness :(
What's his reasoning behind this? A stoma does not in itself affect your ability to care for a dog. You can be very well with a stoma, and very ill without one. A stoma doesn't alter your ability to exercise and care for a dog, unless you are sick with stoma-related complications, but you could just as easily get sick from Crohn's complications after your stoma is reversed. Or does your dad mean he wants to get the reversal surgery out the way before getting a dog, so that you won't already have a dog when you go for surgery? The holiday thing makes no sense to me either.

I'm sure your dad is very concerned about you and finds the idea of a stoma unnerving, but perhaps you could ask a doctor who you trust to explain to him more about what living with a stoma actually entails?

Perhaps your dad is worried about who would look after the dog if you got sicker. He might not understand that having the stoma gives you greater freedom, not less. A dog would be great for you as they give unconditional love. I have always had a dog and they have been a great comfort when I have been feeling down or not well.

I wasn't able to go on holidays much before I had my stoma operation but now I travel all over the world.

Can you get your stoma nurse or your doctor to talk to your dad about the dog and the holidays? You seem to have a very sensible attitude towards your stoma and how reversal surgery could affect your schooling and general health. Have you talked to your dad about why he feels this way?

If you think that any of us could be of help, please just ask. :ghug:

Thanks,

My dad said we are getting a dog, June at the earliest, but he hasn't spoken about the stoma or holidays but I think he still wants the stoma gone. I think it is to do with if I had my reversal surgery the dog might be lonely while I'm in hospital. But I wanted to keep my stoma, maybe years and years. But I guess if I change my mind the dog would be lonely... maybe I should go back to being a butt pooper so I can have a dog. Its such a hard decision.

You have to do what's right for you. Dog or no dog, there's no point having a reversal if your body is not ready for it. As much as we all hate having a stoma we have to think of the benefits it's actually given us. In my opinion this should be no reason to not have a dog, if having one brings you happiness and creates an environment in which you can get away from your illness then I think it has to put you in a better position to achieve remission. As I keep getting told, peace of mind and happiness equals less symptoms of crohns. Combine that with exercise I.e. walking a dog then you are ticking all the boxes!
Good luck!

Nyx

As much as we all hate having a stoma we have to think of the benefits it's actually given us.
I'd just like to point out, that not all of us hate having a stoma. I love mine and wouldn't go back for anything.

I'd just like to point out, that not all of us hate having a stoma. I love mine and wouldn't go back for anything.
Me, too! Well, not sure about "love it", but certainly appreciate it and wouldn't go back to the 25 years pre-stoma for anything.

Last edited:
I love mine and wouldn't want to go back, ever!

But I think the very idea of a stoma is terrifying to a lot of people, like it's just something that goes against nature. They don't think about the quality of life issues that are involved - e.g. time spent in the bathroom, likelihood of embarrassing accidents, pain, etc. The simple idea of having a bit of intestine on the outside of your body to many people seems to be so upsetting that they automatically assume it's worse than however many hours of diarrhoea or running to the bathroom that life before the stoma might have involved.

Perhaps this is where your dad is coming from, Ki3? He loves you and doesn't want to see you go through life with what, to him, is something scary and unsettling. It may be he just can't objectively understand your preference of the stoma because he can't get passed the idea that you've got something terribly and obviously wrong with your body, which he wants gone.

My dad said we are getting a dog, June at the earliest, but he hasn't spoken about the stoma or holidays but I think he still wants the stoma gone. I think it is to do with if I had my reversal surgery the dog might be lonely while I'm in hospital. But I wanted to keep my stoma, maybe years and years. But I guess if I change my mind the dog would be lonely... maybe I should go back to being a butt pooper so I can have a dog. Its such a hard decision.
I think with this disease there are always going to be uncertainties - with or without a stoma, there may be periods where you are in hospital or unwell and unable to care for a dog. But I don't think that means you should not get a dog, just that you need to plan carefully who will care for and exercise the dog should you not be able to.

I hope you can talk about this with your dad some more. Really the dog issue shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether you have your stoma reversed - you and your doctors and your dad should be considering what is best for your health and how you've adjusted emotionally to the stoma. But it sounds like it would be helpful if your dad could clarify for you his reasons for wanting the reversal.

nogutsnoglory

I think whether we like our stoma or not depends a lot on different factors. I think the younger one is the harder it is to accept it. Not that body issues don't affect all ages but when you are young you are expected to have no problems and when you age it's understood the body goes downhill too. I also think it depends on quality of life pre stoma and the quality of life post stoma which influences our feelings.

nogutsnoglory

I'm always thinking outside of the box but I wonder if an ostomy makes us more prone to shark attacks in the water. I mean it's very unlikely but what if they smell our poop or a little stoma bleeding and target us.

I guess they could smell poop from a normal person anyway and maybe I'm just being paranoid.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I think we're safe from the poop smell, I mean as we're physically unable to crap our pants at the sight of a shark. I think the barrier would reduce the smell of blood from the stoma a bit, I believe we're very marginally slightly at more risk.

I wasn't. Did hurt a lot the first time. Not the second time. They drugged me quite a bit :p

As for the stoma - its almost 3 weeks old now, and I still don't like it :( I know I had a shitty life months before the surgery, but I've also had a lot of good times where my Crohn's weren't that active. I miss those times :/

Sadly, its permenant :/ I hope things get better in the future.
Hey Dulli,

What's keeping you down with your stoma? 3 weeks is still pretty new, so if you're having challenges, they'll likely go away as your stoma size settles and you become use to changing your appliance. Your ostomy shouldn't interfere at all with your life, so if something isn't working, you need to find something better (try a new product).

Im not sure. Maybe its the thought of having an a-hole on my stomach. I'll probably get used to it in the future, but right now its just... Well... Not a great feeling.

Also, things are going too slow. Today my stoma is 3 weeks old, but I cant wait to get back to my "old" life, where I can get back to my bodybuilding etc. Im probably too eager.

Will we always be at risk with hernia or is it just when things are new?

Im not sure. Maybe its the thought of having an a-hole on my stomach. I'll probably get used to it in the future, but right now its just... Well... Not a great feeling.

Also, things are going too slow. Today my stoma is 3 weeks old, but I cant wait to get back to my "old" life, where I can get back to my bodybuilding etc. Im probably too eager.

Will we always be at risk with hernia or is it just when things are new?
I think once you're able to return back to the things you enjoy doing, you'll forget about at the stoma most of the time.

My surgeon said that hernia's are more common in older people and overweight people. If you were into bodybuilding, I'm assuming you're in relatively good shape. Your risks would be lower, but it's still important to use common sense for at least a year. You should talk to your dr so they can give you the "ok". There are support belts that you can use when doing heavy lifts.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The weaker your stomach muscles are the more at risk you are for a hernia. Like stated above, if you work out a fair amount you should be fine. I've got a hernia, but I'm also a tubby, out of shape S.O.B. Get a hernia belt to, talk to your doctor about it.

As time goes one there is less of a hernia risk. 3 months you can start to carry more than 25lb, then slowly build up. Until then I'd recommend curls with 5-10lb hand weights for the next little while to help minimise any loss to muscle mass that may occur during your down time over the next few months.

nogutsnoglory

Nu hope makes custom belts that can reduce the risk of hernia. They are fantastic but you need very specific measurements and it takes about 3-4 weeks to get it insurance usually covers it

^ with a prescription they'll cover it.

I got mine fairly quick. I use Edgepark for my ostomy supplies and they sell them. First, I used the measurement guide on the manufacturer website then searched by account number and it came right up. I got it within a week and that's after insurance and doctor verification.

This might be specific for edgepark so take it for what it's worth.

Please forgive any typos, posting from Tapatalk for iOS.

Check out my blog on my journey with crohns! http://blastoffcrohns.blogspot.com/?m=1

I got mine fairly quick. I use Edgepark for my ostomy supplies and they sell them. First, I used the measurement guide on the manufacturer website then searched by account number and it came right up. I got it within a week and that's after insurance and doctor verification.

This might be specific for edgepark so take it for what it's worth.

Check out my blog on my journey with crohns! http://blastoffcrohns.blogspot.com/?m=1
Awesome.

Hey, how have you been doing?

Been hanging in there. I've been able to go back to work and have been doing so since 3/31. I do have what looks to be a skin tag on the left (my right) side of my stoma that stings and bleeds when touched. I have a follow up with my surgeon next week so I'll be asking about it then. Finally got my stealth belt, and it's amazing. The only time I don't wear it is when I'm showering. I've had 2 blowouts but those were after drinking a few beers and eating really late at night. Still a learning process but it's getting better.

Finally got my stealth belt, and it's amazing. The only time I don't wear it is when I'm showering. I've had 2 blowouts but those were after drinking a few beers and eating really late at night. Still a learning process but it's getting better.
When you say "blowout" do you mean the wafer separates from your skin or the pouch comes off? Is it because of gas or is the pouch genuinely full?

Yay for the Stealth Belt! :ycool:

When you say "blowout" do you mean the wafer separates from your skin or the pouch comes off? Is it because of gas or is the pouch genuinely full?

Yay for the Stealth Belt! :ycool:

As in the wafer separates from the body. As you can imagine, it creates quite the mess. It also happened while using a smaller bag so I only sleep with a regular sized bag from now on.

As in the wafer separates from the body. As you can imagine, it creates quite the mess. It also happened while using a smaller bag so I only sleep with a regular sized bag from now on.

Damn, that's a pain! I've had seepage under the wafer on nights were I get heavy ballooning, but the only time I had a complete breach was when I had modified my wafer in a way that didn't give it a lot of surface area to hold onto + a lot of bending the day before. Learned my lesson quick! And I always use the larger size Coloplast bags - not HIGH OUTPUT bags, which have a spout, but regular pouches in the larger size.

Things will get better once you learn your ostomy's pattern.

Damn, that's a pain! I've had seepage under the wafer on nights were I get heavy ballooning, but the only time I had a complete breach was when I had modified my wafer in a way that didn't give it a lot of surface area to hold onto + a lot of bending the day before. Learned my lesson quick! And I always use the larger size Coloplast bags - not HIGH OUTPUT bags, which have a spout, but regular pouches in the larger size.

Things will get better once you learn your ostomy's pattern.

Yeah, and it is. Each week is a little better. I'm just glad I can drum again without any pain and actually put weight back on.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Marshmallows help to thicken up output, am I the only one who stockpiles (hordes) Peeps at Easter?

It's a scientific fact that Peeps are one of the top 3 forms of marshmallows (the other two being cereal marshmallows and those weird red things that are allegedly strawberry flavoured and not available in the States).

On Monday I cleaned out every store near me, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one.

Marshmallows help to thicken up output, am I the only one who stockpiles (hordes) Peeps at Easter?

It's a scientific fact that Peeps are one of the top 3 forms of marshmallows (the other two being cereal marshmallows and those weird red things that are allegedly strawberry flavoured and not available in the States).

On Monday I cleaned out every store near me, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one.

This is my first Easter with my ostomy. Just had about 8 peeps. I didn't know what marshmellows did for output but I'll find out here pretty soon!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've got 14 packages sitting in my cupboard. I'm currently in the phase where I'm buying up leftover marshmallow Easter candy. There's a bulk store near e selling chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies for less the $1/LB.

Last edited:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Aside from the fact that they are shaped like ducks?

I have weird texture issues when it comes to eating food. I find regular marshmallows are too rubbery for my liking. There are certain foods I refuse to eat because of the texture (gummy candy, jello, raw fish), it's a weird and varied list.

Same nothing really affects my output. Apparently because my ileostomy is higher up in the intestine It means my output is different to normal ileostomy so it's nearly always thin liquid like pee.

Potato chips always move incredibly slow through me. They always thicken things up.
When I was in the hospital the other week, the guy next to me had a short bowel and was eating THREE bags of chips a day + Imodium to slow down his out put, and he still managed to get several blowouts in the few days I was there!

Brutal :(

nogutsnoglory

Interesting that potato chips slow him down. I would think fried food would speed it up. I was told salty chips are good for keeping electrolyte levels normal.

Interesting that potato chips slow him down. I would think fried food would speed it up. I was told salty chips are good for keeping electrolyte levels normal.
Interestingly enough, when I was in the hospital after getting my ileostomy, I wasn't allowed to leave until my output thickened up - they nurse would order me chips and it worked like a charm :)

Regular chips, although fried, aren't the same as deep-fried chicken or oily fries - unless you eat kettle chips - those are always drowning in oil :eek2:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
in regards potato chips, potatoes help to thicken, and chips have no water in them, as such they absorb more water. Potato chip manufacturing is a highly controlled process. The goal is to dehydrate and cook without adding colour. Deep frying, if done properly doesn't absorb nearly as much oil as people think it does and can be just as healthy as pan frying. At least that's what was taught when I went to cooking school.

I've found nothing that affects mine. I would love to try the peanut butter but I'm allergic hahaa

annawato

Staff member
Apples are the best for me for slowing down and thickening my output. Also, rice crackers, bananas and metamucil. Just about any soluble fibre food will help as they absorb liquid. If you google soluble fibre you can find foods you like and see if they help you. As usual be careful, particularly when your stoma is new, that you don't create a blockage.
:heart: anna

Isn't it interesting how old remedies are coming back again. I am over 70 now and when I was a child and any of us children were sick, my mother used to give us grated apple, especially if we had upset tummies. (Also arrowroot biscuits with warm milk!)

I now always have finely grated apple if things are a bit "loose".

had my first stoma blockage yesterday, damn, it dont half hurt huh?, from 2pm until 10 pm, suspect a large piece of onion was the culprit, not chewed enough

Oh, yes, they hurt. I had a stoma blockage brought about by eating a large slice of flourless cake made with semolina and ground almonds. It as though I had a sphere as large and as hard as a golf ball trying to push its way out of my stoma!

well, ive eaten just about everything apart from popcorn, havent been brave enough to try it, but as foods go i never had a problem up until yesterday , and i dont want to go through that again .

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
They are horrific. Because of the parastomal hernia I had I would get them all of the time, I've literally lost count of how many I've had in the past couple of years, I want to say itis somewhere around 25-30 of them. It's gotten to the point where I now give a complete course of action when I've gone to the ER. I had to stop eating so many things.

Hopefully since the surgery couple of weeks ago I'll be safe for awhile. But damn I hate this new stoma, my other one was beautiful and perfect. This one is a mis-shapen hell beast that refuses to co-operate. I'm on my third appliance since Friday, nothing I have in reserve fits properly, but the at home nursing care is coming today she'll order proper supplies for me.

I've had two really bad stoma obstructions and one I still don't know what caused it. I've had two partial obstructions as well. Sometimes it is a particular food and other times you never can identify the cause.

25 times, damn, id be reaching for the razor blades to slash my wrists at the 3rd time lol, cant imagine what that would feel like. well gonna tear into a chicken and ham pie with roast tatties, lets see what the outcome is

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I live 3 blocks away from a hospital, the staff and I are well acquainted. But the hernia has been fixed so hopefully I'm good for awhile.

Hi I wondered if anyone could help with a few things?

1stly my bags lately are not sticking at all. I put one on yesterday and the edges are all off. Luckily the middle I manage to keep on so it doesn't leak but the sides just don't stick down, with and without skin barrier.

2ndly in two weeks I'm going to America. It's a 10 hour flight. I have never flown with my ostomy, or even while being on azathioprine. I'm so nervous about going through security, but mostly the actual flight. I wanted to try to fall asleep, but what if my bag fills up and leaks because I'm asleep, then I would have to change my bag on the plane!? I'm super nervous. As I'm 13, if they pat me down and start touching around the bag area I can scream peado and run off haha, but seriously I'm so nervous. Input would be nice thank you xx

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hey. I use tape around the edges. If I don't it peels up.

Can you take immodium or a stronger perception drug to slow things up on the plane.

I went through the x-ray scanner at the airport two times. Both times, the security person looked at the x-ray for a long time, but then signaled for me to walk through and no further questions. I also had my medical card from this website in my hand ready to go, but didn't need to show it. Check this out:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/ostomies

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/notification-card

Of note, I did not inform them of my ostomy ahead of time, even though the website recommends doing this.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I am quite up front with security regarding my bag. The only issue I had was going into Cuba and I was wearing a pouch cover. As soon as I showed it to them them they waved me right through. When I over a land crossing into the states by bus they started going through my backpack, they saw the bulge under my shirt asked what was going on there. I showed them the bag and he immediately stopped searching, put everything bag in and waved me through.

As far as flying the longest one I've been on is 4 hours, you get a bit gassier because of the air pressure change. I avoid eating anything before the flight, once I'm on the plane i'll eat something. I found when travelling I like the Hollister bags because of the cloth tape (instead of the rubberyness of Coloplast) will actually help absorb some of the liquid leaking out. The closest I had to any major issues was a malfunction just before getting on a 5.5 hour train ride. As we were boarding in Detroit I sprung a leak. As soon as I found my seat and stowed my luggage, I went to the toilet, emptied the bag, folded up some toilet paper put that over the leak and taped the hell out of everything. Once I got to Chicago, I found a washroom, checked to make sure everything was still in place. Met up with my friend, and was eventually able to change the bag when we got to her place about 8 hours after the leak it actually happened.

I have travelled widely and have never been stopped when going through the airport scanners.

You can ask to be taken to a private room if they want to investigate further. I was stopped in the entry to a shopping centre in Jordan, where security is very tight. They took me to a private room and a woman patted me down but was perfectly satisfied when I explained to her about my ostomy.

Whatever you happens, don't make a fuss - that would make them suspicious and you could be treated as a threat. They are only doing their job.

When you book, tell them that you have a medical condition and ask to be given an aisle seat. Use something like the Brava tape around the edges of your bag, so that you feel more secure. Empty your bag as often as possible - just before you get on the plane, if they are showing a film, go to the toilet just before the film ends and everyone rushes for it. The same with meals, if you can, go to the toilet before the coffee is served.

Take some bags and the other supplies that you need in your hand luggage. If it happens that you have to change your bag and you have a nice flight attendant, tell her so that, if they need to get everyone back to their seats, they won't be pounding on the toilet door. Also, if you feel that it is urgent and there is a line waiting, explain to the staff and they might let you use the Business Class toilets.

I always take an Immodium or two before I board the plane and watch what I eat - it is better to go hungry for a few hours than eat something that will upset you.

With luck, none of these things will happen and you will have an enjoyable and incident-free flight. I hope that you have a great holiday!

Just another thought. If you are really concerned, you could get some incontinence underwear. As I said in reply to someone just recently, no-one but you will know that you are wearing it and, if you have a leak, it will soak up the excess.

Thank you all, I'm defo going to look into Imodium, and I think I'm in an aisle seat. I'm kinda open about my ostomy so wouldn't mind explaining. It's just the 10 hour flight :O

My suggestions: don't drink carbonated beverages (don't need any extra gas). Drink water to avoid dehydration. Bring twice as many appliance changes as you think you need, and carry them with you. I also take a pack of wet wipes and a small plastic bag to dispose the old appliance. I have had to do a quick change in the toilet stall of a restaurant. Precut the wafers to your stoma size. Don't worry about the paste. If you can't apply the paste, just slap the wafer and bag on. It will hold up for several hours until you can do a proper change. As for airport security, when they ask if you are carrying liquids or gels, just say yes, I have a medical appliance on my tummy and request a private screening. They've seen it all before.
Have a great trip.

Nyx

I've only been stopped by security once, and they took me in the back room, I showed them my bag and told them what it was for, and they let me go. It wasn't a big deal. I do find that I get more gassy on the plane, because of the change in pressure, but it's not a big deal...just go and burp in the bathroom. Also, as others have said, I tape up my ostomy too. I've changed my appliance on a plane once. It wasn't easy! I'm not a small girl, and it was hard moving around in there! But, I carry wipes, pre-cut flanges, disposal bags, and sometimes paste too in my purse. So, besides the room constraints, it was ok and more than doable.

Enjoy your trip and try not to worry too much!!

Thank you! I think im starting to worry less, I will know how to deal with any problems. What do you mean tape up the bag?

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
You tape up the flange, seal the edges to keep them down. If I'm wearing something like Hollister that uses the cloth like baseplate I cover as much of it as I can with tape. On the very rare occasion that it does leak, it will cover up any smell.

What kind of tape? I have coloplasts elastic tape half circle things but they don't stick down much either.

If I'm wearing something like Hollister that uses the cloth like baseplate I cover as much of it as I can with tape.
Do you do this immediately after an appliance change? I'm trying out the Hollister New Image system now, and I don't find the tape border to be specifically problematic (no peeling or anything like that).

Do your warm the base of your bag and the Brava strips before you attach them? and your body? A lot of people find that this helps them to stick.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
With Hollister I tape the entire thing if I wear it in the shower, If I need to to use powder due to skin irritation or as a precaution if I am travelling (or going to a concert). But I generally don't do it unless there is a specific reason.

As far as tape, I try to use ether Tegaderm or Opsite Flexifix. They're basically the same thing but I've found the opsite is cheaper.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I know Amazon UK carries Opsite Flexifix (here). It is basically the same thing. I started going through the listings when I searched Tegaderm but didn't see it in roll format.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I'd wager to say if you order it soon it should be. I've ordered from Canadian Amazon and they were quite fast. Plus the UK is much smaller, so transit time would most likely be short.

Sign up for a free trial of amazon prime if it is available for prime, then you would get it the next day, just remember to cancel Prime before amazon starts charging.

I always order from amazon but it always depends what the product is to say how long it will come. I'll try order it tomorrow and see what it says about delivery.

HELP I SHUT THE DOOR ON A MOTH SO IT DIDNT COME IN MY ROOM BUT NOW I NEED TO GO EMPTY MY BAG BUT I DONT WANNA OPEN THE DOOR TO A SQUISHED MOTH

Hi can anyone help me about blockages? There is popcorn right infront of me and it smells so good and I havnt tried it since before surgery and I don't want to get a blockage but it smells soooo gooood

I have had a stoma blockage and wouldn't want another one - it was extremely painful and took a lot of effort to get it moving. Popcorn doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Perhaps, when it is almost all gone, you could have a couple of pieces and chew it very thoroughly - but I don't know whether I would risk it.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
If you are out of your own country it is best to not tempt fate.

I had to wait out a blockage when I was in Cuba, it was 12 hours of hell.

Side note- How did that moth situation 2 weeks ago pan out?