• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stomach flu bug in the house!

???? Not sure how to phrase this....My son who has CD has a fever now along with the nausea & let's just say straight water the other. I went for a nap today with nausea only to wake with the same symptoms + cookie tossing, & the Other!!! I don't have a fever. It looks like we have the tummy bug in the house! So how can this effect my son with CD?? BTW he has a Peds Dr's appointment tomorrow.

AZMOM

It is really hard when there is something like a stomach bug. Sometimes the stomach bug is just the stomach bug. Treat your son like you would any other kid with a stomach bug and just watch him closely. The one time we have been through this, the vomiting and diarrhea lasted the same amount of time for both kids. But it did take Claire just a couple of days longer to be "herself". Like your son, she had the fever and her brother didn't. But sometimes that's just a difference in kids.

Hang in there - keep in hydrated and keep us posted!!

And don't forget to take care of Mom!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Mom,

Ditto to what Julie said! I know others on the forum have broached this before and if I remember rightly the effects were much the same for the CD kids and non CD kids. In Roo's case she recovered quite quickly and there were no long lasting effects.

I hope you are all starting to feel better!

Thinking of you guys, :hugs:
Dusty

Hi Mom, welcome!!

So sorry you are having to deal with this on top of everything else! I had the stomach bug while my son was in the hospital a few weeks ago, it was a nightmare! I feel for you. Ditto what Julie and Dusty said - I don't have any other advice, hang in there and sending hugs!

Update....Daniel had a Dr's appt. early this morn at the Peds Dr. they started testing him at the office for flu & strep! BINGO....he has strep with NO sore throat! On to the poop studies as his C-diff may be back! He has already visited the loo 16+ times in less than 7 hours this morn. They put him on the Zithro pack 500mg for 3 days & gave him some Zofran for the nausea. We have to go back to the Peds Dr. tomorrow morning for a recheck. He lost like 3 pounds in a day on our home scale. Same amount since last week at the Dr's. I have a call into his infectious disease Dr. at Hershey to make sure we are doing all that needs to be done with this new antibiotic as it could cause a recurrence if he doesn't have one already. With that all said I am just wondering just how long he has had the strep as he has been so nauseated & the extra stomach pain for the last 2 or more weeks!?! But it sure would explain all that has been going on! I don't wish him pain but I wish he would of had the sore throat as it might have been DX sooner! Good thing to keep in the back of our minds for future reference! Stomach pain, nausea & good blood levels could = Strep throat!
As for me I am better but I went to the Dr. also just to make sure I don't have strep. So far it's neg for strep. Looks like just the stomach bug.

Julie....I love the name! ; ) I spell mine Julee! As for me I am taking care of ME! In fact DH is jumping through hoops to get everyone everywhere & everything done! We also have a snow day today so that has helped as he didn't have to miss more school. I think he will have to miss tomorrow though.

Dusty....after I posted the ? on here I googled the ? Crohns & stomach flu bug. One of the first couple of places to go was HERE...I read a thread someone had started. Your right ON girl with the info. It just seems some days I am such a pest with the Dr's at Hershey. I know that that is what they are there for! But I am so thinking craziness on my part....but when your baby hurts & nothing seems to give. I guess we all go a little crazy!

Kelly....You feel so useless when there is so much to do & take care of. Especially when our children REALLY need us! That was a nightmare! Been there in other ways! I feel your pain!

Receiving the much needed HUGS.....Sending ones back to you ALL! You all are a Wonderful Bunch!!! I sure am glad I came here!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good to hear all is going okay! Not that Daniel has strep throat! :eek: but that you have the answer to the problem! :lol:

I hope Daniel is feeling better very soon. Keep us posted!

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Glad you started this thread Julee!! It hasn't happened to us but I've often wondered if a stomach bug might cause any unusual problems for EJ. I hope Daniel is starting to improve!

Well today Daniel is doing better we had a recheck at the Peds office. He lost 2 more pounds but the nausea is some better & the pain is a lot better!!! The "D" is less but still 15 times today. His Dr. for the C-diff called last night I am doing all that I am supposed to do. I am just to keep a close watch. Most of his stool tests are in. He does NOT have C -diff again. Every time he gets it could be really bad for him & his CD.
Back to work tonight with no sleep as the 13 year old may have strep now & DH is really
sick now! He has been in bed all day! I am about to take him to the Dr's soon. I sure
hope you don't get this bug it is so nasty!
I hope today's was a good day for all your families! Gotta run!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Great to hear Daniel is getting better! YAY!

Holy cow you will feel like your at work 24/7! You'll be hanging out for that bug to pass and with any lick it won't reach across the pond to us! :eek2: :ylol:

:hang: in there Mum you're doing a fab job!

Thinking of you guys, :hug:
Dusty