• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stomach Flu - similar symptoms to CD cramps

I caught the stomach flu last week (yay me!)

Initially I was confused because the symptoms were similar to abdominal cramps when crohns has a reaction to something I ate. The first night was the worst, vomiting and cramps for 10 hours. Slight dehydration and brief periods of chills. Fortunately nothing that warranted a visit to ER.

I've been through many episodes of CD cramps, but noticed some differences. The cramps weren't as frequent as those when CD is reacting to something I ate. As time went on I had headache, occasional fever, diarrhea, abdomen constantly bloated and achy, indigestion after every meal, mild cramping every day - all consistent of stomach flu. I'm on a bland diet and am getting as much H2O, protein, and probiotics as I can (right now a juicy cheeseburger sure sounds good).

I've had flare-ups before and these symptoms don't point to it. I'm getting a solid night sleep, my abs are achy but not painful, and I haven't had chills since the first night. While I am quarantined to the house, I can actually do some physical work. That is not consistent with my past flare-up. I guess I can breathe a sigh of relief.

I'll be glad when this flu is over though!!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ugh! Hope you are feeling better soon.....I too can tell when it is a Crohn's issue vs. stomach flu/bug etc......so far I've avoided the flu, did have a nasty chest cold but that's just about gone thankfully!

Scipio

You may have a stomach virus such as norovirus, but there is no such thing as stomach flu. The term "stomach flu" is a misnomer. Influenza is a disease of the lungs.

In any case, I hope you feel better soon.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I also had norovirus a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely miserable and mine did warrant a trip to the ER. I got super dehydrated. The vomiting was bad but the diarrhea was worse, it was the "pee out your butt" type like colonoscopy prep. It wouldn't stop and I just couldn't keep hydrated, so I went to ER for rehydration. My vitals didn't come back up like they were hoping after a few bags of IV fluids, so I ended up being admitted overnight for observation. Not fun at all. Fortunately I did get to go home the next day. I didn't feel like myself for about a week, though. I had low/no appetite and the gut cramps and still had some diarrhea for about a week, even after the nausea & vomiting went away. It was a really bad virus! And then I had to bleach/wash everything in my house to get rid of those nasty germs, too.