• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stomach pain immediately after eating?

theOcean

I spoke about this to my GI the other day, but outside of a suggestion of getting an endoscopy he has no idea what this is and neither of us think it's related to my Crohn's. Lately, though, immediately after I eat -- sometimes while I'm still eating -- I'll get bad pain in my stomach. I haven't been able to notice any consistency to it... it doesn't seem to matter what I've eaten or when I eat.

I'm going to start keeping a food diary to track it, but otherwise: thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this?

For as long as i can remember I get pains while eating.. I also start to feel sick and then just give up. Its not so bad if i eat small amounts so i eat little and often. Im afraid i have no idea what it is and my GP kept telling me it was indigestion but I'm not convinced.
Sorry I'm not much help but I do feel the same :)

I spoke about this to my GI the other day, but outside of a suggestion of getting an endoscopy he has no idea what this is and neither of us think it's related to my Crohn's. Lately, though, immediately after I eat -- sometimes while I'm still eating -- I'll get bad pain in my stomach. I haven't been able to notice any consistency to it... it doesn't seem to matter what I've eaten or when I eat.

I'm going to start keeping a food diary to track it, but otherwise: thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this?
Try smaller portions more often with water throughout the meal. I still have it happen sometimes though - kept a food diary and couldn't find any common triggers.

I have the exact same problem. My GI has not yet been able to figure it out yet. He now has me on a special diet on day 2 - severly limits my foods. I don't think that is it but I'll try anything for now. I've been researching digestive enzymes since I already have problems with that area. I try and eat little portions also.

theOcean

I use enzymes sometimes, but just beano (for gassy foods) and lactaid (since I'm lactose intolerant). They make a world of difference, honestly! What kind of diet does your GI have you on?

Very bland - It's titled Foods & Beverages that are better tolerated by irritable bowel syndrome patients (they printed it off uptodate.com) - Soy or rice based products, Plain pasta, noodles, rice - no sauces/gravies, baked or boiled potatoes, white bread, plain fish, chicken, turkey, or ham, eggs - soft boiled/poached, plain corn flakes/rice krispies, corn or rice chex, cheerios, soy or rice milk, margarine/jams/jellies or peanut butter. In small amounts - applesauce, cantaloupe/watermelon, honeydew, fruit cocktail, peaches, pears (canned, non dietetic.) Cooked peas/carrots - no raw vegis. Water, ginger ale, sprite, and gatorade.

I don't really eat sugars as they give me bad D so that limits the fruit. I'm doing this for 2 weeks - his thought is to see if the foods I'm eating are causing the stomach pain/nausea and/or D but still live off Lomotil. This is going to be very difficult. Yesterday, I had 2 plain potatoes - not much of an appetite for this. Had Gluten Free Split Pea Soup for lunch (hope that was ok). Need to have the energy to go to the store to buy some of the fish - have some frozen organic chicken breasts so will try that tonight hopefully. He wants me to stay away from fiber (I love GF salads from Chick Fil A - salads are on the list but he said no for me for now). The Diet also says to take a bunch of different vitamins but my guess is he won't want me to introduce anything else during this period that might cause nausea & pain. A lot of times vitamins don't mix well with my stomach.

I'm slightly better on the D than I was months ago, but it is a struggle. I've tried the Gluten Free diet for 2 weeks months ago - no help. My weight is a constant struggle - since I started the Prednisone in April I've lost 5-8 pounds (base weight 110) so not good. I try and eat about 4 T of peanut butter later at night to keep the weight on.

Sorry for the long rant - I just want something to work - felt like crying this morning due to the pain (forgot the Levsin-SL and I went to get my nails done so couldn't take nausea/pain meds until I got home.

I kept a food/pain, etc journal for the last month - everything seems to be a trigger!!

Have you heard of this Diet?

Praying something works!!! :ybatty:

Last edited:

theOcean

Ali29: It sounds like it could be similar to FODMAP... I've tried eating super plain before but unfortunately the result is that it makes me not really enjoy eating anymore. :( I used to be low-fibre but since I've been in remission, I've actually been dealing with chronic constipation and now I'm supposed to eat high fibre! It doesn't make any difference for me, unfortunately... I've had to rely on medication instead while we're investigating for a possible cause.

While I'm in the opposite boat right now with digestive problems, I know how frustrating it is trying to desperately find something that works. :( What other medication are you on?

The food doesn't sound appealing, I can certainly relate to that!

Pentasa, Dexilant, Levsin-SL, Lomotil, Norco, Prednisone 20mg, Phenergan. Will be looking at all of these next also.

It could be a symptomatic histal hernia, a lot of people with CD have them because of how much diarrhea we get.

I still get a lot of pain immediately after/often during most meals. It is like once it hits the stomach/digestion phase, it immediately goes haywire. Burning, rolling stomach & intestines. I haven't found what doesn't cause it except for scrambled eggs and toast (just a recent meal that I could actually digest without a quick trip to the potty)...If I take my nexium and bentyl, that helps sometimes.

I find that a gluten free diet helps me with eating related pain (and with constipation when I used to have that) It also helps my mood, and I have a lot less wind.
If I eat gluten free, after a few months I can eat my other 'danger' foods no problem - including dairy, eggs etc. Also helps some of the smaller aches and pains in general. I am not celiac, but I would class myself as 'intolerant'.

I know what you mean about ruining the joy of eating:)
I found that although eating GF did narrow my options in some respects, it did balance out - with the ability to add back in my other danger foods, and there are a lot more gluten free products and recipies available now. The increase in general well being added as well, makes it worth it.

I am eating gluten fro a month prior to a colonscopy to double check the celiac situation, and I am miserable - so I will be going back to GF as soon as I can:)

Best of luck:)

You forget I've had chronic constipation for almost a year. :p
Someone doesn't spend spend enough time on Steam or Skype anymore for me to remember these important details. :p You still probably have a histal hernia because you're a westerner so it can't hurt to ask, the symptoms do match up with the pain my own gives me.

i had the same thing lost 20 pounds got dehydrated than i was hospitalized for five days with IV and later went on prednisone.

the last time i had a endoscopy i was told i also have Crohn's in my stomach.
if you have the same thing it won't seem like Crohn's because you might not have diarrhea or abdominal pain.

are you losing weight or eating less?

theOcean

Someone doesn't spend spend enough time on Steam or Skype anymore for me to remember these important details. :p You still probably have a histal hernia because you're a westerner so it can't hurt to ask, the symptoms do match up with the pain my own gives me.

I've been busy! :p Also currently stranded with in-laws with no laptop. Would it show up on an MRI?

theOcean

i had the same thing lost 20 pounds got dehydrated than i was hospitalized for five days with IV and later went on prednisone.

the last time i had a endoscopy i was told i also have Crohn's in my stomach.

if you have the same thing it won't seem like Crohn's because you might not have diarrhea or abdominal pain.

are you losing weight or eating less?

I finally managed to put weight back, actually. And even when I do get sick I actually get ravenous!

Will definitely ask about the endoscopy if this continues, though.

They can be detected with gastric system oriented X-rays, and endoscopies mostly. I honestly have no idea what it is but it does remind me of my hernia.

Mine is definately my stomach that hurts - like cramping- sometimes it radiates to my right and back. The Levsin-SL (hydrocylomine) helps, I forgot to take it yesterday and I paid for it. It usually happens within 30-45 minutes of eating - cannot pinpoint a food - even glueten free soup will cause it.

I often get stomach pain after eating. I have found ginger helps relieve it, either as a tea, or in Newman's Own Ginger candies (they are sold in health food stores and look like a roll of lifesavers). They are very strong so you might just want to nibble around the edges at first. The Newman's Own ginger is so effective that I recommended them to a friend of mine who was having terrible morning sickness and it worked.

Good luck!

Hi theOcean , I always get pain right after eating anything. My doctor finally agreed that I can take 3 percocets a day with my bigger meals. It does help me and constipation doesn't seem to be a problem for me. But even say a banana between meals could cause me to have some awful cramps. I am in a flare right now but then again I don't think I have ever been in remission. It's been about 4 long years and I have yet to find the right combo of meds to get me there. I wish you. Hope your pain eases. <3 Cheri

theOcean

Aw! I hope you find something that gets you feeling better soon, Cheri. :hug: You deserve to be pain-free, too.

So far trying to just eat smaller meals has been helping a bit... keeping an eye on things and hoping for the best. This pain hasn't been anything unreasonable at least! (Though with how much pain we're all probably used to dealing with, who knows? :p)

Im glad eating smaller amounts its helping a bit :). If you do find out a reason for the pain keep me updated? Would be nice to hear its something that can be changed rather than something else we just have to put up with.

Does anyone have a theory on what causes this? I'm so upset that my GI cannot determine the cause (which I know many things they cannot figure out with this disease) - I take dexilant for bile acid malabsorption so I don't know if BAD is the cause. It's the nausea & pain that are (D aside which we haven't solved yet) making me a recluse.

I'm so beside myself - there should be a way to find out what it is - I've also researched digestive enzymes - not a GI so I have knowledge but nothing I can pinpoint. See above I've been on a diet that is very similar to FODMAP (not helping) - It is almost every meal - sometimes I can push through it without nausea/pain meds but many times I cannot and have to take the meds and my quality of life is so little. I've tried so many meds - nothing is stopping it. I go back to the GI on Thursday and would like to have a more detailed discussion with him so we can make a plan. I want to return to the land of the living so much but taking these types of meds because they do help - you cannot work let alone drive.

I'm so at a loss - any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.:ybatty:

it's very easy to think of a theory when i know you have Crohn's.
it can effect anywhere from the mouth to the anus.
the question is if it's true which you would need to have a endoscopy to find out.

Thanks you - had the endoscopy, diagnosed 2/2014 Crohn's via Pill Cam - small intestine, diagnosed 9/13 bile acid malabsorption & fat malabsorption from previous endoscopy.

Last edited:
I currently have a surgery-induced ulcer and OUCH I can get hit with pain while still at the table. Never anything like this before... so I am guessing it is the ulcer for me and hoping it heals soon. Wasn't given any particular diet to follow when discharged -- just to increase the Zergid to twice a day for a week or two. Plan to try the dietary suggestions here for the next two weeks and see if it helps.

Good luck to all... lots of pain out there :-(