• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stopping and starting Lialda

I was diagnosed with Crohns in June of this year, and started taking Lialda about a month ago. I am having more pain while taking the Lialda and want to stop taking it for a bit unitl my next doctors appointment in 2 weeks, but I know there are some drugs that can produce an allergic reaction if you stop and start taking them. Is this one of them? If i stop now and it turns out the pain was unrelated, canI restart taking Lialda?

Thanks for your help!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Yes, I think you can. It's not a medicine, like the biologics, where you build up immunity.

To be honest, I was on Lialda for over a year after being diagnosed. However, I recently stopped taking it, and I think Lialda was responsible for several (but not all) of my symptoms.

I was on Lialda recently and stopped taking it because it gave me stomach pains and not the crampy kind. My doctor said it was too strong for me and put me on Apriso which has worked out much better.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am glad you mentioned that, lilbit. If I get my diagnosis back, I will suggest Apriso for treatment. I don't want to go back on Lialda.