• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strange dreams

So the last few night when I fall asleep I am having crazy flash back dreams. I am having very vivid dreams of when I was about 5-6 years old laying in my bed/floor of my childhood room balling my eyes out in utter pain. I mean exactly what I did back then. When I wake up I am curled in a ball, my whole body is tense, my fists are clinched, and I have a shear feeling of anger.
I wouldn't consider myself to be in remission right now, bit my issues are very minor and manageable. So I don't know what's up with these flashback dreams.
Does anybody want to play Monday morning psychiatrist? Any Freudian thoughts? I will award points for creative replies.

Last edited:

KWalker

1.Do you take anything before bed?
2.Is this usually a short time after falling asleep, or after awhile
3. Do you find yourself doing heavy breathing when you wake up?

It definately wouldn't be Freud related.. According to him, all dreams relate to sex lol

No, nothing before bed. There hasn't been an change in my night time rituals. The dreams seem to last the whole night. I'm not waking up breathing heavy or even on a cold sweat.

hey Ron, I remember when I was flaring real bad I had the most vivid dreams about being sick and hospitals. I guess it was just the main thing on my mind at the time. Maybe its as simple as that. Even if your current health issues are minor and manageable, maybe they are still worrying you without you really noticing (or maybe you know you are worried but are pushing those thoughts out of your mind). Or maybe its a sign to pay closer attention to your health problems. Who knows.
Oh well, I gave the whole psychiatrist thing my best shot!

I can relate to this. Sometimes I have random dreams about the disease, other times I've gone a whole week with a disease-related nightmare every night. I wake up feeling like I am sick even though I am doing pretty well right now. I have contacted my health care provider and asked if there is a disease counselor in my area. I fit all the symptoms of PTSD and though getting really sick hasn't been a one-time event, it's an anxiety that I think probably many of us live with. I'm personally hoping for a place I can go to get some therapy so maybe the dreams will go away. Good luck with your dreams.

Last night I had a vivid dream I was at work and while there I just fell to the floor and started vometting, crippled by pain. Then I was rushed to the ER. In y dream my bowels ruptured and I needed emergency surgery. When I woke up I had sharp stabbing pain in my stomache(prob what triggered the dream). It's been a big fear since my diagnosis...having to get emergency surgery.

My guess is you have unresolved issues with your past. Maybe your upset and angry that no one took notice that you were crying on the floor in pain and now your mind is ready to deal with it. It's often a case with kids who have had some major trauma that they block o a good chunk of memories from theichildhood because mentally they can;t handle it. When their mind is ready to deal with such traumas they begin to have vivid dreams, often nightmares about these childhood memories. It sounds like you are angry either with yourself for having the disease or your angry with your parents and health providers for not listening/diagnosing/ treating you when you felt you needed it most.

I could also be happening if your thinking about it before going to sleep or if it's been on your mind a lot lately.

Tell me about it, I have some real good one's the last one was about a company inviting people into a sales pitch/meeting and hypnotizing them to be zombies when a keyword was mentioned (that would make a good film) I have also chased flashing lights around the bedroom and tried to hit my wife in my sleep. (luckily she woke me up) they do seem to be getting worse as i get older. :eek2:

David

I think you're dead on lookame. I aware d you a billion awesome points!

Sheila, Emily, and Dave, thank you for making me know I'm not alone. Also, sorry you're going through it too.