• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strange Smelling Sweat

Bit of a weird question....but I have really noticed this recently. My sweat has a really strange smell, not horrible, but not nice either. It's really sweet and distinctive and my husband can smell it too. It's not associated with hygiene because it doesn't go away after a shower or anything like that. Maybe I have noticed it more with the weather getting hotter but it has come on within the last 3 weeks or so. I think I could smell this the last time my Crohn's was bad too.

I'm not currently in a flare I don't think, but my Crohn's has been worse recently. (Lots of mucous, stomach pains, fatigue etc. no blood though).

I think it could maybe be due an imbalance somewhere as I still haven't got my vitamin levels controlled and I don't think my body is absorbing stuff very well.

Anyone have any 2 cents to add? Not sure if I should worry about it or not or if it even has anything to do with Crohn's Disease.

I understand sweet smelling sweat can be indicative of diabetes. You may want to have a blood test performed.

It could also be babeosis, which is a very common parasitic infection which usually resolves on it's own but can be dangerous, and in rare cases, if not treated even fatal. Sweet smelling sweat is a common symptom, along with diarrhea and flu-like symptoms.

Hmmm...Thanks for that. Hard to tell really when D and flu-like symptoms come with Crohn's too.

I am actually due a blood test next month but not sure if I should go before then or just wait a month.

I don't think so. I'll get my husband to smell it again in the morning when I haven't eaten anything :) I can't do anything about it over the weekend but if it's still there I'll go doctors next week. Just hate going and feel like I pester them with silly stuff that might not be important.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Diabetes could be a possibility.

It also could be a perfume or scent you wear if you do wear any at all. Our glands don't adjust to certain perfumes well and even if it is one we use for a long time our bodies readjust as we get older and that aroma can easily re-develop into a stench.

If you eat certain foods (like garlic) in excess it can come out of your pores too. So food could also be a factor.

Also an article just came out this week about how heat brings out strange smells in nature....I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to people too :p http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...at-smell-odors-rise-with-the-temperature?lite

Hmm. I'll stop wearing perfumes and see if that changes anything. I don't eat any fruit and rarely eat garlic - my diet is really bland but I'll pay more attention to what I'm eating.

It's mainly underarm I think.

Trysha

Staff member
Sometimes an enzyme deficiency can cause this.
Multiple reasons indicate a need for you to check with your doctor soon.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Are you losing weight right now? It could also be ketosis. (That's more of a nasty smell, though).

Whatever it is, a change like this is something that you should bring to your doctor. Don't ignore it. I could be nothing, but it could be something serious (like diabetes, as other posters have said). And if it is something important, it's best to get it diagnosed and treated early.

I don't think it smells unpleasant and I haven't noticed that I've lost weight, although I am underweight anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

A high protein, lower carb diet can cause ammonia sweat (smells a bit like cat urine). It generally doesn't go away with a shower (you can sometimes even smell it in the shower). If it is limited to one area like your armpits, you can try scrubbing a bit more with a washcloth - it will help but not eliminate the smell.

The folks above mention other possibilities as well - anything from hormone imbalances to diabetic symptoms. Worth talking with your doctor about it.

nogutsnoglory

I read that boric acid can eliminate that ammonia body odor. I just don't know where one buys that and how safe it is to use considering possible toxicity but maybe that's only with extended use or ingesting it.

Trysha

Staff member
Substances placed on the skin may be absorbed to some degree by the body.,and enter the system, check carefully before using anything.
Trysha

This is going to sound a bit strange but I know someone who smells like that! Although I would say it might be a bit of an unpleasant smell so it might not be the same... It is sweet though.

But I'll tell you the story coz I think its funny!

Basically this guy is one of my best friend's boyfriends. She met him through me. I didn't want her to go out with him. Its not that I disliked him... I just thought she could do better. He does annoy me a bit but at the end of the day he is a nice guy I suppose. Anyway, I said to her as they started going out that I didn't think she should go out with him. I said to her, don't you think he smells funny?? She was like... no!

Anyway, they went out for about a year and then they split up! She then admits to me I was right and he does smell funny! She doesn't know why! Then after a month or so, they got back together and they are still together now.

Anyway sorry for going off on one! Hope you get it figured out!

It doesn't smell like wee, it actually smells better than normal BO! Anyway I have had a blood test done yesterday so awaiting results on those. Thanks for all your help.