• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strength of the Mind - Pre-diagnosis and Anxiety

Hey folks, this is my first day on the forum, I'm currently undiagnosed but ultrasounds and suchlike are certainly pointing to crohn's based on inflammation sites.

Either way I've read over a few of the sub-forums and replies on this site from time to time, and it seemed so incredibly welcoming and supportive that I took the plunge!

I'm not too sure if it's part of pre-diagnosis, or if it's my genetic hyper-worrying gene, but the last month or so, the thoughts surrounding the matter have kept my heart rate and nerves rather jacked. Not typically above 100 unless I've been moving a lot or otherwise stimulated (while working out my head remains clear) which is relatively understandable, being a sous chef and on my feet moving around quite a bit. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there that experienced something similar to this prior to diagnosis and/or treatment (I should probably mention before posting this that I'm also anemic, not sure if that helps).

Thank you for taking the time to read my anxious rant, and potentially replying?

You're Awesome,

Have a rad day :)

Pre-diagnosis and for a time after dx my son's anemia caused his heart rate to be higher. Since you have anemia that could be playing a role. He found it was worse with a lot of physical activity. Once his anemia was better the faster hr went away.

Thank you very much Clash;

I've been on Iron supplements for a little over a month now and I have a hard time telling if it's making a difference. I started taking a little extra B12 today, hoping that helps with energy levels as well.

Since you are already going through the diagnostic process I would definitely bring this up to you doc. He may refer you back to GP or another doc but still it's important to stay on top of new symptoms and to address them as they arise.

Trysha

Staff member
It takes about six weeks to get your iron levels close to where they should be and I would expect your GI will be checking this on your next visit.
Anemia can cause some of your symptoms but you really should be letting your doctors know of these symptoms.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I had no idea that Iron levels bounce back like that with treatment, I figured I was going to choking back 2-3 palafers a day til the end of days. I will definitely take this up with my GP next chance I have. I don't see a GI or have MRIs done until early-mid April.

Regardless thank you so much for the helpful information and the well-wishes! Both are greatly appreciated!!

Trysha

Staff member
It does not necessarily mean you can stop the iron abruptly,but you may be able to slowly reduce the amount.
It will depend on your doctors analysis and the reason that your levels became low in the first place.
Sometimes it is through sneaky blood loss...you may not notice this but tests will find and establish the cause.
Feel better soon
Trysha

My son also had tremendous anxiety and high heart rate, and after diagnosis, several doctors told us it was probably the combination of inflammation (ramps the body's systems up) and anemia (your heart works harder to get oxygen to the right places). And that's not counting the anxiety about something being wrong, I imagine. I sure had a lot of anxiety pre-diagnosis, and I wasn't the one getting diagnosed!

I hope you find answers and feel better soon.

Thank you very much Food4Thought! I just sat down to read this during a panic attack to try and steady my mind and it's helped me relax greatly. The human body is a wonder, really. How it sends us signals like that. I appreciate you taking the time to share a small piece of your story with me.

Hope all is well, and calm :)

So I finally got in to see my GP and brought this up to his attention, my heart rate hasn't really changed much so he gave me a referral for more blood work to monitor iron levels and an ECG. I was lifting weights 2-3 times a week before, I'm not sure if that made it better or worse, however being a sous chef, I'm on my feet and running around like a madman 11-14 hours a day as it is. That coupled with the stress of being in the kitchen isn't helping at all. I'm terrified for at least an hour a day when I'm here.

GP suggested I up my iron intake to 3 supplements a day, we'll see how that goes. It may be a bit of a personal question but do either of you remember what your child's average HR/BPM was when the anemia/anxiety was affecting them prior to DX?

This is all very strange.

Thank you for taking your time.

Welcome. I have Crohns and it seems like mostly when o have my blood checked I am anemic. I take iron and have b12 shots.

Honestly, I don't remember. I know a couple of times his resting was around 120 bpm.

The GI also felt that the severity of his chronic inflammation could be playing a role.

He's iron deficient now but his HGB is just barely below NRR and he hasn't complained of the heart rate issue.

So I finally got in to see my GP and brought this up to his attention, my heart rate hasn't really changed much so he gave me a referral for more blood work to monitor iron levels and an ECG. I was lifting weights 2-3 times a week before, I'm not sure if that made it better or worse, however being a sous chef, I'm on my feet and running around like a madman 11-14 hours a day as it is. That coupled with the stress of being in the kitchen isn't helping at all. I'm terrified for at least an hour a day when I'm here.

GP suggested I up my iron intake to 3 supplements a day, we'll see how that goes. It may be a bit of a personal question but do either of you remember what your child's average HR/BPM was when the anemia/anxiety was affecting them prior to DX?

This is all very strange.

Thank you for taking your time.
I don't recall average, but I'm pretty sure my son was usually around 110 or 120, and when we were in the hospital or getting infusions, his anxiety will spike and he'll be up to 150 or more. When getting loaded into the ambulance for a transfer, he was 170. They almost didn't transfer him, but we'd been in an ER for 24 hours at that point (no hospital beds open) and he'd just come out of the MRI.

He had iron transfusions and now that he's getting treated and his inflammation is down, his heart rate is almost always under 100. He has even remarked that his heart doesn't make him nervous anymore (being scared of a racing heart and then having a racing heat are not a good combo!).

I'm glad your doctors are taking a look at it and making sure you're getting better. I hope you find ways to manage your anxieties and get some rest when you can!

Constantly worrying about it REALLY doesn't help for sure! Ill go to measure or have my BPM checked at a blood pressure machine and the fear of it being too high will cause me to spike like crazy. It's a super weird feeling, I'm sorry your families had to endure such anxiety but it sounds like everyone's doing much better!!

Thank you all so much for your wisdom and support!!!