• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strep Throat and Inflectra Treatment

Hey everybody, hope everyone is doing well. About a week and a half ago, I started to develop a sore throat and didn't think much of it. Thought it was a typical common cold coming on since it was accompanied by sinus congestion and drainage. By New Years, my sore throat had gotten a lot better and seemed like it was clearing up. But on Tuesday, it started coming back which I thought was odd. Woke up Wednesday and throat was still sore, so I went to the doctor and they did a pcr test to check for RSV, covid, and flu. All those results came back negative and my symptoms pointed towards strep throat, so he prescribed me antibiotics which I started taking Wednesday night. Thursday was absolutely hell; one of the worst sore throats of my life and was absolutely miserable. Slept most of it off and yesterday felt quite a bit better. Woke up this morning and my sore throat is all gone and I feel a lot better than I did on Thursday.

Even though I am feeling a lot better, I am a little concerned since I am due for my next Inflectra infusion on Tuesday. Not too sure if I should go through with it since I am just getting over Strep. What do you guys think? I'm currently on 10mg/kg dosage every 6 weeks.

my little penguin

Staff member
Call your Gi
Every Gi has different criteria
Did they swab your throat for strep ?
or just give antibiotics?
Normally you need a positive swab test .

for my kiddo when he was on remicade or humira with strep
Only had to to be fever free or on antibiotics for at least 48 hours
But for adenovirus he had to hold humira for two weeks and test negative before he could restart it

No, they didn't do a throat swab, just a nose swab to test for covid, flu, and rsv. The doctor was certain at first that this had to be caused by a virus, but when my results came back all negative, the doctor assumed it was strep based on my symptoms. So they went ahead and prescribed me antibiotics which I have been taking since Wednesday evening. Probably will call my GI doctor tomorrow morning and see what he says. Otherwise, I'm feeling a whole lot better than I did a few days ago.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had a sore throat from hell early last summer - strep tests were negative, had to do a couple rounds of antibiotics (lost my voice too at one point).....I had my regularly scheduled infusion (Remicade) while I was still battling it and even had another round of antibiotics after.....one kind of 'funy' thing is that right after my infusion, the soreness was drastically reduced - probably because of the solu-medrol I get via IV as a pre-med...at least that is the only thing I could think of...had wicked sore throat right before infusion and almost none the day after....