• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress and Crohn's

Lynda Lynda

I've been on Stelara, Budesonide, Methotrexate and Folic acid for over a year. I have been doing good.

I was renting a room in someone's house for almost 2 years and it went well. I lived happily and indepently. Unfortunately my landlord was diagnosed with Alzheimers and I had to move out. It was going well there.

Then I moved into my sister's empty condo for 5 months. I had the entire place to myself. I could do whatever I wanted. I had access to the entire kitchen. My bowels were doing great. I was happy. All was going well.

I had to move out of the condo. I started renting a room in a woman's house who is disrespectful towards me, I have no privacy, cannot eat in my room, she is patronizing towards me and she thinks we are "roomates." She has an overbearing personality. I made a big mistake moving here. I think she has OCD and paranoia ? I have lived here 12 days and have only had 2 somewhat normal BM's. I don't eat properly.

I already suffer from anxiety, but now I wake up shaking with a panic attack. This landlord is stressing me out so terribly. Stress, anxiety and panic attacks are hurting my Crohn's Disease. This landlord is not approachable and is just damaging to my physical and mental health. There is no conflict resolution because she is saying she's right and I'm wrong. I feel like an 8 year old kid.

Has anyone had extreme stress cause their Crohn's symptoms to get worse ? I am trying to find a new place to live, which also causes more stress. I just ate a 10mg THC cannibus edible so that I can relax, I normally only take this once at night. I don't want my Crohn's symptoms to get worse, I had a flare last year and it didn't get better until I started a new treatment plan inbetween May - October last year.

No one is gonna read this because it's too long. I'm crying. I still have all my possessions in my suitcases and haven't unpacked them. I can't keep bananas and white rice in my room and if I leave my room my landlord has got to talk and talk to me. She is accusing me of things I am not doing and none of my other landlords have complained about.

🌻

I know it probably seems like everything is catastrophic right now, but things can get better once you channel your anxiety into finding a new place. She isn't a good match. You know what it's like to have a better situation. You can do this. I do suspect stress is making your Crohn's worse. There is definitely a mind body connection. Until you find a new place maybe you can find some ways to distract yourself and de-stress-walks/hikes out in nature, meditation, going for a run, whatever works for you. Make sure you devote a good amount of time each day to finding a new place.

my little penguin

Staff member
🤗 hugs
Do you have friends you can visit during the day ?
A library , church , or senior center near you for some quiet relaxing time .
Anyone you can stay with temporarily until you find a new place ?
Is there someone you can talk to in real life (clergy etc…) just to get it off your chest ?

Working on leaving and finding a new place is a must
If at any time you feel unsafe there please find a local woman’s shelter -
Hugs 🤗

I've been on Stelara, Budesonide, Methotrexate and Folic acid for over a year. I have been doing good.

I was renting a room in someone's house for almost 2 years and it went well. I lived happily and indepently. Unfortunately my landlord was diagnosed with Alzheimers and I had to move out. It was going well there.

Then I moved into my sister's empty condo for 5 months. I had the entire place to myself. I could do whatever I wanted. I had access to the entire kitchen. My bowels were doing great. I was happy. All was going well.

I had to move out of the condo. I started renting a room in a woman's house who is disrespectful towards me, I have no privacy, cannot eat in my room, she is patronizing towards me and she thinks we are "roomates." She has an overbearing personality. I made a big mistake moving here. I think she has OCD and paranoia ? I have lived here 12 days and have only had 2 somewhat normal BM's. I don't eat properly.

I already suffer from anxiety, but now I wake up shaking with a panic attack. This landlord is stressing me out so terribly. Stress, anxiety and panic attacks are hurting my Crohn's Disease. This landlord is not approachable and is just damaging to my physical and mental health. There is no conflict resolution because she is saying she's right and I'm wrong. I feel like an 8 year old kid.

Has anyone had extreme stress cause their Crohn's symptoms to get worse ? I am trying to find a new place to live, which also causes more stress. I just ate a 10mg THC cannibus edible so that I can relax, I normally only take this once at night. I don't want my Crohn's symptoms to get worse, I had a flare last year and it didn't get better until I started a new treatment plan inbetween May - October last year.

No one is gonna read this because it's too long. I'm crying. I still have all my possessions in my suitcases and haven't unpacked them. I can't keep bananas and white rice in my room and if I leave my room my landlord has got to talk and talk to me. She is accusing me of things I am not doing and none of my other landlords have complained about.

🌻
🤗

Lynda Lynda

My bowels are still not consistent whatsoever.
Ate white rice one day to combat diarrhea.
Didn't have a BM the next day.
But then the day after that had to sit in the bathroom for an hour and had a massive, but healthy looking, poop.
Some days I don't even eat because I am required to eat sitting at the diningroom table and I don't like that. My landlord doesn't understand IBD's and that I don't eat 3 meals a day.
I eat small amounts of food throughout the day.
It's going to be a bit awkward for me to be sitting at the diningroom table eating a rice pudding cup ?
Older folks who live alone, like my landlord, are always wanting someone to talk to.
Well I don't like to talk.
She is actually 81 years old, looks like 50 years old and is more active and seemingly healthier than I am. She walks her dog, still drives, plays the lottery, has her regular TV shows she watches, etc.
She has a schedule each day and I just do whatever I want based on how my colon feels.
I am 62 years old and have been sick with bowel issues for 25 years.
My landlord and I have had a few rows.
I think she is starting to understand that I just want to be left alone in my room and need privacy. I wish our bedrooms / bathrooms weren't right next to each other.
I live a pretty solitary life and I actually like it that way.
I'm not a social person.
I can't believe that I am so completely stressed out that this is affecting my health.
Obviously I suck at conflict resolution.
I guess I have to realize that my landlord is never going to change her condescending behavior and that I shouldn't take it personally.
My current Crohn's treatment plan is a good one.
The location of this residence and the price of the rent is the most affordable option for me.
It's very cheap to live here.
I wanted a safe, quiet, clean place to live and I got it.
I live in Sun City, Arizona and this is a 55+ City built fifty years ago.
The City accommodates senior citizens. It's a good place to live, close to my Gastroenterologist and a Hospital.
My current landlord took care of people with special needs in her home for 10 years, so when I moved in as a renter she started treating me like one of her "clients/patients." I am sure it is difficult for my new landlord to have a renter move in, she has OCD and I am entering her OCD home.
My food cupboard and refrigerator space is still empty, even though she has given me plenty of space to put my food.
At my sister's condo I had an amazing, crazy appetite and although that is not good for my weight I enjoyed eating a variety of foods.
Today I will order grocery store food delivery.
My relatives are due to arrive in town soon, so I hope that they can help me feel better, they will be in town for around for 5 months.
I asked one of my Aunties if we could all have a prayer together when she gets here, she's good at prayers. Every one of us need help in one way or another.
My current landlord is no longer entering my bathroom or bedroom, yeah she finally figured out that I can clean my own bathroom and take care of my own bedroom and I know how to park my vehicle in her garage too🤦‍♀️.
I pay cheap rent and I also get a garage to park in in Arizona 😳.
I got my first apartment at age 19 and was very independent, so I think I know how to do everything I need to do.
Thank You for your support and hugs. I'm hoping to get back on track and start a regular eating schedule soon.
I don't like all of this moving around the past 2 years because there is no affordable housing, I can put my name on a 2 year waiting list if I want to.
I lived in my apartment for 10 years, a room rental 3 months, a room rental 21 months, my sisters condo for 5 months and current residence 3 weeks.
Lynda 🌻