• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress kills me

Ever since I have developed Crohn's stress has been a major factor in how I feel physically. And right now the stress is really piling up. I moved away from home for the first time. I moved to Montreal to go to University and I don't know anyone at all in this city. I've been out of school for so long that uni is a bit overwhelming right now. Write an essay? I haven't written more than an e-mail in the last several years.

But the part that is really upsetting me is that my move brought the end to a two and a half year relationship with my girlfriend. Which wasn't exactly unexpected, but I was totally unprepared for it. The fact that it's over and there's nothing I can do about it is eating me up. I'm usually a pretty level-headed guy, but I'm far from level-headed right now. I've been pretty stupid and I haven't taken my medication since I moved here and I haven't been eating much either, which probably is part of the reason I feel so crappy right now. I've been trying to do things to cheer myself up, but it hasn't really been working. I went to a tattoo convention yesterday which usually would interest me, but I just wandered around a bit and came home. I'm glad tomorrow in Monday, at least school keeps me a little distracted. :(

I feel crappy when I haven't been eating either. Is there anything you can eat that you enjoy. I eat a lot of spaghetti when I am flaring...it is the only thing I can eat a decent amount of and enjoy. I also take a lot of long hot baths and paint my nails cuz that always makes me feel happier. (maybe not down your alley though!) Anyway all I am saying is find the little things that make you smile and start with those.

The only advice I have for stress with school is focus on one thing at a time. I would often get caught up in worrying about all the things I had to get done instead of just taking them all in one at a time.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.

I also eat a lot of spaghetti when I don't feel well and I also take hot baths or if I'm at the lakehouse I get into the hottub... the heat just makes my tummy feel better.

I understand the college thing... just focus on how good it feels to accomplish things. I love that feeling and the feeling is often enough to fuel me to get everything done. I make a lot of lists... that way I can scribble out or check off things as I do them and then I feel even more accomplished.

Another thing thats calming for me is to just go off on my own for a walk or go off for a drive somewhere. Sometimes I'll wander through a mall for a long time, not really buying anything, just looking... but the personal time lets me think about things.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
First of all - TAKE YOUR MEDS! Not doing so is just asking for trouble.
You sound so sad, being in a new place can do that. Change is hard, but you'll get used to your new surroundings soon, I'm sure. You'll make some new friends in classes soon too.
When I had to write papers for school, before I had a computer, (hey! no old jokes!) I always wrote out sentences on paper, then cut the paper, then put it in the order I wanted it in. I swear that STILL seems easier than moving the sentences on the computer. It'll come back to you.
You need to eat or you won't feel good. Maybe even some ensure or boost will help you feel better. Make sure you get enough sleep too.
(Just PLEASE don't paint your nails no matter HOW it makes teeny feel.)
Good luck with your classes, feel better!

Lots of **hugs**

Keep your eye on the positives.
Any new thing you start is hard or sometimes depressing.
But, after you started it and you looked back 6 months later you think, All that stressing? It really wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Hope things start looking up:)

Thanks everyone. I feel a little silly airing my dirty laundry on the internet, but it was a hard weekend and I just needed to vent!

I've never really been good at taking meds. It's not that I don't want to take them so much as it just doesn't get done. I've been a lot better with it the last few years, I guess moving has just thrown me back into my old bad habits. Not eating is also one of those old bad habits I get into when I'm not feeling well, on the one hand I'm not running to the bathroom, and I don't hurt as much, but on the other hand I'm not really helping my body and in the long run it just make things worse. I made potato salad last night. I'm not used to cooking for myself. I made way too much, so I'm going to be eating potato salad for a few days!

Ah well. I'm sure all this will be great life experience, anyway. I've already learned a few things. I'll certainly be more thorough next time I look for an apartment. My light stopped working after a few days and I've been sitting in the dark ever since. I think someone is finally coming to fix it today.

P.S. I think painting my nails might make it harder to make new friends. haha. :)

Last edited:
Don't worry about the dirty laundry, we've got plenty of laundry soap....lol

Bad habits are hard to break, but you can look at this as a new biginning to start new healthy habits.:)

The nails...well...you could paint them.....I guess it depends on the friends you want to make...:lol:

Wiles I get the same way when I don't feel good. I stop eating cuz I feel better when I don't . I mean I feel tired and such from not eating, but at least I don't have cramping and have to run to the bathroom all day. It can be such a vicious cycle. Lately I have resorted to drinking Ensure Plus so that I get some nutrients.

You could just paint your toe nails!

My Butt Hurts said:
Wiles - how are classes going? Are you feeling better about your move?
(Did you paint your toenails?)
Classes are going pretty well so far. Although it turns out I'm a really bad slacker! Most of my essays have been done in the wee hours of the morning just before they are due. I need to get out of that habit! I've had two midterms this week, one yesterday and one today. I'm not sure how well I did yesterday, but today I think I did pretty well.

I haven't gotten around to painting my toenails... yet... :tongue:

Paint your fingernails, you WILL make friends, I just don't know if they'll want to stay friends.

I'm a horrible procrastinator, probably because...(I'll finish that thought another time)

BWS1982 said:
Paint your fingernails, you WILL make friends, I just don't know if they'll want to stay friends.
What shade do you think I should paint them? :ylol2:

Pen said:
Yeah I stressed today big time and now I am starting to pay, I wish I could stay calm but the two stress were huge to me. They worked out in the end but whoa glad when this day is over. Stupid me.
If there was a list of "Words that describe Pen" I don't think stupid would be on it ;)