• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stressed out and flaring...

Due to stress, I've been flaring pretty badly and just this week I've lost all bowel control. I wake up even in the middle of the night having diarrhea, ugh. I'm now wearing Depends and protective coverings on the bed but this is upsetting to say the least. I'm on 10 mg. of pred, Remicade at the max dose, 18 mg of Methotrexate and still it shows no signs of slowing down.:(

Anyone else ever experience this? Any advice would be most helpful!

Can't say that I have ever had that loss of control. Is there some change dietarily that might be contributing to this? Is there anything you can take that works to slow down your movements? My worst times came when my sleep was disrupted, and clearly you are going to be challenged until your bowels settle down. Try to do things that you enjoy right now as much as possible. Hoping that it settles for you sooner rather than later.

nogutsnoglory

I have little to no control for a few months now. It's not stress related though. I recommend lots of diapers and pads and lomotil to slow the watery stool down.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
when i was mid-flare and stressed I would have troubles like this. I usually would have to resort to xanax to calm me down as it was obvious that stress/anxiety was a trigger for pain and emergency D. There are things you can take to help get things under control but you should definitely talk to your doc about it given the medication you are on currently.

For example I might suggest immodium multi-symptom as an OTC relief but I'm not sure how severe your symptoms are i know some folks are sensitive to anti-diarrheal meds.

Also be mindful of your diet. try at BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet to help bind things if you can stand to eat such foods.

Sorry you are going through this. I hope you feel better soon!

Well I went and got the diapers and more Prep H wipes. There were a couple of guys who started to look me over and practically gave themselves whiplash when they say my basket.:rof:

I'll start the BRAT diet tomorrow. My main concern is that the Imodium isn't working at all. I called my GI and had a time getting through his watchdog of a nurse. It's hard enough being sick but fighting with my HMO is just draining.

My husband who manages to find humor in any situation sent me this link:http://http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/oops-i-crapped-my-pants/n11128/

Well I guess I can either laugh or cry about it, one. :)

nogutsnoglory

I was embarrassed buying diapers at first but now don't care. I'm just bitter and ready to snap at anyone who laughs or has a comment for me. Plus they don't know who I'm buying them for. What's frustrating is none are good, they are all for urinary incontinence or a solid poop and can't handle major diarrhea. If Im not home even with the diaper it's going down my legs and staining my pants.

I was embarrassed buying diapers at first but now don't care. I'm just bitter and ready to snap at anyone who laughs or has a comment for me. Plus they don't know who I'm buying them for. What's frustrating is none are good, they are all for urinary incontinence or a solid poop and can't handle major diarrhea. If Im not home even with the diaper it's going down my legs and staining my pants.
Well, being a woman I'm used to lugging huge packages of embarrassing paper products around stores lol. But I admit the diapers are a bit different. They don't fit well either-even the small ones are way too big. At my heaviest I'm a size 9 in pants so these are falling off! I've done the BRAT diet and Imodium but still no relief :(

Well, we'll just have to partner up and design our own! Seriously, even if they were made for our needs, as big as they are it would never hold anything in. Even baby diapers have elastic on the legs, you'd think they could do the same for us. And breathable material, too :/ My sensitive skin is not liking them at all.

nogutsnoglory

Omg I wish! These are not designed for fecal incontinence and they are so not breatheable. Sometimes I give my butt a good fanning during the day not to sweat there so much. Yuck.

Well, we'll just have to partner up and design our own! Seriously, even if they were made for our needs, as big as they are it would never hold anything in. Even baby diapers have elastic on the legs, you'd think they could do the same for us. And breathable material, too :/ My sensitive skin is not liking them at all.

I think that's a great ides I wish there was something like that. I'm petite but find wearing a regular pad like for my monthly doesn't do the trick sometimes if I have problems and leak. Gross I know. the depends are to big for me even the smalls.