• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stricture Surgery / Alternatives / Dr Recommendations

I am looking for some advice on dealing with strictures. I had a double baloon enteroscopy recently and the dr indicated that he could not get though one particular stricture in the distal ileum, I think he was afraid it would perforate.

I'm thinking that before accepting surgery as an eventuality are there any doctors who do baloon enteroscopy in anticipation that it might perforate and surgery would be required on the spot?

Are there any other alternatives to a fully strictureplasty, anything minimally invasive?

I am looking for recommendations for a surgeon in NY, if anyone has a doctor they can recommend, please let me know. I am also looking to travel to the Cleveland or Mayo clinic for a second opinion and could use a recommendation.

Thanks

nogutsnoglory

I don't think any doctor will put you at a known risk to avoid a less risky strategy of arranged surgery.

The other thing is a GI does a balloon enteroscopy and would not be equipped to perform surgery on you if something goes wrong.

Why are you trying so hard to avoid surgery? There are non invasive, bowel sparing surgical means such as stricturesplasty.

Have just read your reply,I think I know where Steve is coming from,I really hoped that I could have had Balloon dilation,but it was not possible,and as I had already had quite a lot of abdominal surgery including three bowel resection ops,I was also looking for non invasive alternative means,although I was led to believe I still had a lot of small bowel left,well I have had my surgery 4 weeks ago,and really wish I had,nt, I feel so ill,it's unreal,and to top it all am now left with only 140cms of small bowel,I am fuming,because there is no leeway to have any future surgery if this god dam disease rears its ugly head again in the next few years!,I have had a stricturep lastly before,it didn't last very long,and when they went in again,all that work was cut out,so yes I do know where Steve is coming from,the less invasive the better,even better if they can do Balloon dialations

Have just read your reply,I think I know where Steve is coming from,I really hoped that I could have had Balloon dilation,but it was not possible,and as I had already had quite a lot of abdominal surgery including three bowel resection ops,I was also looking for non invasive alternative means,although I was led to believe I still had a lot of small bowel left,well I have had my surgery 4 weeks ago,and really wish I had,nt, I feel so ill,it's unreal,and to top it all am now left with only 140cms of small bowel,I am fuming,because there is no leeway to have any future surgery if this god dam disease rears its ugly head again in the next few years!,I have had a stricturep lastly before,it didn't last very long,and when they went in again,all that work was cut out,so yes I do know where Steve is coming from,the less invasive the better,even better if they can do Balloon dialations

Trish, exactly how I feel. I don't want to rush into anything eventhough I know it might be the right choice, I have my doubts. And I don't trust doctors or surgeons to do the right thing, I wish I could.

How soon were you able to get back to your routine, school/work etc?

I am not Steve, I only had it done 4 weeks ago, I feel dreadful,and convinced I have this short bowel syndrome,I have loose motions all the time, urgency,cannot eat properly, am falling asleep all day,have to have a rest if I go upstairs,food and drink does not taste the same,I really wished I had not had it done,as I was working full time up till the day before surgery,yes I was on 100mg of azathioprine which was keeping me in remission,but my Gastro said it was worth taking the 5cms of stricture away,as I was probably sitting on a time bomb,especially as colonoscopy showed they could not do balloon dilation as my Terminal Ileium was almost closed up,so yes I decided to agree with there decision,but I tell you never again,my surgeon never even told me,how much bowel was left,and yet he came to see me everyday,it was on my discharge letter to my G.P.So I am pretty down at the moment, very depressed,and regret having all this done.

Did you have previous surgeries? Was anything taken out besides the 5 cm? Hopefully your just adjusting right now

Yes I have had 3 bowel resections and a strictureplasty,gallbladder removal,fundiplasty (op to stop acid rising up oesophagus)incisional hernia,all through this awful lines.