• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stricture

So, I have a fibrostenotic stricture. No active inflammation. I have had one 30 cm resection 15 yrs ago. My choices are balloon dilation to try to delay surgery, stricturplasty or resection ( probably open). Anyone have advise or thoughts/experiences??

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I would go for the least invasive procedure first....some people have had success with dilation being done, but unfortunately I've also heard of strictures coming back.....

Do you have symptoms from the stricture? and if yes how bad are they?

I'd go for the less invasive and more conservative one too... from doing nothing if food go thought stricture without symptomes, to baloon dilation, strictureplasty and last last resort resection.

Usually doctors give you advice and have a plan for it, what do they recommend?

I’ve been having fairly severe symptoms since November. I’m currently ingesting about 80-90 % liquid diet due to symptoms. I have a CT scan next week, MD wants to wait until after CT results to discuss options. I’m thinking balloon if possible, if not I’d kind of rather have resection than stricturplasty, I figure if they have to go in anyway, I’d rather take out the diseased part than let it stay....

Do you have symptoms from the stricture? and if yes how bad are they?

I'd go for the less invasive and more conservative one too... from doing nothing if food go thought stricture without symptomes, to baloon dilation, strictureplasty and last last resort resection.

Usually doctors give you advice and have a plan for it, what do they recommend?

Trysha

Staff member
Last June I had a balloon endoscopy for esophageal stricture and so far results have been very good...no more swallowing problems.
At the same time I had an intestinal stricture which the GI dilated with instruments...it took five different probes I understand to complete these procedures...again the results have been very good and I’m so glad that surgery was avoided.
Given the choice I would always opt for non surgery.
Hugs
Trysha