• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strictures that make trouble, but no inflammation

MRI two weeks ago says I have 4 strictures, all short ones (2-3cm) and all within 30-35 cm from the ileocecal valve with the first one about 5-6cm above the valve. Before the MRI, I had a colonoscopy in which the first two strictures were balloon dilated, but the gastroenterologist didn't do the next 2 strictures because he said "I don't know if there are even more thereafter" - well the MRI showed there weren't any thereafter... The balloon dilation was with one of the narrow balloons, only 16mm.

The 2 severe strictures have existed for years, they have been seen on an MRI back in 2011. I still felt pretty good from 2012 to beginning of this year.

I am still generally fine, no inflammation and no vomiting, no diarrhea etc. - but daily bloating of the belly, gas and "gurgling" sounds and discomfort after eating on many days that sometimes is moderately painful.

Ok, so I have another colonoscopy planned with balloon dilations for the last 2 strictures + having the first two strictures dilated to 20mm - but it will be only in December.

The doc who did the colonoscopy and balloon dilation is a different guy than my regular gastroenterologist. My regular gastroenterologist said due to the severity of the strictures (the MRI showed severe bloating from the contrast fluid), he suggests I should go for surgery and he warned me of the likelihood of an obstruction. I already had surgery with 60cm of small intestine removed and a strictureplasty for another 40cm or so and am worried of small bowel syndrome. I already have problems with malabsorption of certain things such as iron, magnesium etc.

My regular gastroenterologist has also said we should not start Humira (I have been on azathioprine with a 2 year post since 2003).

QUESTION: I am really unsure about how to proceed. I know I had strictures for years and lived with them. But things have gone worse, but not as worse as I know many people with severe strictures have it. I am still worried about obstructions. My plan is still to wait for December for the second balloon dilation - or is that not sensible and I should ask for surgery now? Anyone had an obstruction even though he or she knew about severe strictures and made sure to eat non-obstructing food?

Doesn't answer your question but in 2010 I had a resection because my intestines got wrapped around themselves. Afterwards my surgeon informed me that I had been that way for a while.

I live with strictures, have been for years. I've had one resection about 13 years ago. I take Remicade, Lialda, Omeprazole and Budesonide and REALLY have to watch what I eat. I have symptoms daily and ocassionally have to go on liquid diet for a few days and have had one ER visit. But my goal, based on md suggestion, is to have surgery as infrequently as possible because once the intestine is gone, it's gone. So, unless my quality of life gets really bad or stricture gets to point where full obstruction seems likely, I'm trying to put off surgery.
I like the idea of balloon dilation, even though I'm not currently considering it. I think that type of ballon dilation is just buying some time before surgery becomes imminent.

I live with strictures, have been for years. I've had one resection about 13 years ago. I take Remicade, Lialda, Omeprazole and Budesonide and REALLY have to watch what I eat. I have symptoms daily and ocassionally have to go on liquid diet for a few days and have had one ER visit. But my goal, based on md suggestion, is to have surgery as infrequently as possible because once the intestine is gone, it's gone. So, unless my quality of life gets really bad or stricture gets to point where full obstruction seems likely, I'm trying to put off surgery.
I like the idea of balloon dilation, even though I'm not currently considering it. I think that type of ballon dilation is just buying some time before surgery becomes imminent.
My doctor's associate told me that eventually the disease comes back. I had a resection five years ago.