• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stricturplasty surgery

Hi my name is Hannah, I'm 15 years old and I have had crohns for 5 years with no significant symptoms until recently. Now i have just found out i have to have stricturplasty surgery because i have 5-6 strictures. Has anybody had this recently? I'm going away to America in 4 weeks and I'm really worried I wont be able to go! Any info anyone can give me about recovery time and what I can expect leading up to it and through the operation would be great!
Would love to hear some success stories! :)

Hi Hannah. I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish I had information to give you, but unfortunately, I don't know what you should expect. I have strictures, but haven't had surgery yet. I just wanted to tell you that someone here will undoubtedly have some advice for you. Reading your note made my heart go out to you and I just wanted to wish you well and tell you that you came to the right place for information! Hang in there!

While I have had this surgery, my story will likely be a little different from your experience. Mine was coupled with resections which complicated everything. They seem to have worked though, as my surgeon (who has done all my surgeries), can't see any sign of previous strictures that he has operated on. It is worth it - the partial or complete obstructions are something you just don't want to have happen. As for recovery time, it may vary a little on how your surgery is done. Are you being scoped, or are they opening you up completely? Given that you are young, I suspect you should heal up quickly. Make sure you have good insurance - you don't want to end up with US size hospital bills if you are unfortunate enough to need medical attention when you are there.

thankyou for your feedback. Yes I am having laproscopic surgery. I am worried that I might not be well enough to visit the States though which will realistically be 2 weeks after surgery:(

nogutsnoglory

Laparoscopic surgeries and strictureplasties do heal faster but two weeks is very early for you to make a huge trip. Can you postpone it? Even if you are able, it really might take a lot out of you and you will still have the stitches in.

Two weeks is really cutting things exceptionally short, especially if you are going to be active. If it is a genuinely sedentary trip, you might be able to manage it. I don't think your surgeon would be too thrilled at the idea. If you can postpone, I think that would be in your best interests. You will be quite tired during your recovery.