• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stricturplasty Surgery

I had my surgery through the tummy button and it is approx 8cm long. I was feeling really good and was able to walk and do a lot on my own, then i got a very sharp stinging pain on the right side of the wound and went to the doctor who said I had a wound infection, my tummy was very bloated and sore and i got new antibiotics which worked over night and I am already feeling so much better and there is no more pain. But i did wake up to see i had puss coming from my bellybutton, the doctor said that if today the pain hadn't gone away i would have to get it drained so I am assuming this is good and is draining itself from the antibiotics??? If anyone knows please help! Also does anybody know if my tummy button will go back to normal? It looks very squashed at the moment... :)

Hannah. Wish I could tell you for certain, but since it's draining its probably getting better. Is the skin red or swollen around the incision? Any fever? Is it painful to touch or warm to touch?

I had surgery a month ago, and still have one place that drains and has some infection. Just watching it at this point.

Keep a good eye out, and if you get new symptoms, you may want to contact you doc just so they can take a look.

Hi there! Thank you for the help I think I am doing the right things at the moment. Swelling and redness has gone down a bit but so much improvement since yesterday. It's not sore or hot to touch, my mum has been able to change the dressing twice today without much pain at all! If you had yours a month ago can you please tell me what to expect? I am already feeling almost normal (apart from the infection) and I was wondering what I should expect for the up coming weeks?

Hi Hannah. I had the stricture removed and 18 inches resected, so mine was different. For yours since you're already feeling so much better, it will get better every day. Maybe one or two "tired" days, but that's it.

Did he tell you when you can start lifting, walking, or working?

I get to go back to work next week, but it's been 3weeks since surgery. No lifting yet, just light paperwork.

Keep a good eye on the incision though really, but sounds like it might be ok now.

Good Luck!

Dear Hannah,

I also had a stricturplasty in 2003, also through the belly button, about 8-9cm with about 60cm of smaller intestine taken out.

Similar, to your situation, I had secondary wound infection, that is the stitched up wound (after the stitches were removed) started to get 'mushy' and hurt somewhat. A surgeon had a look at it and cleaned/drained the wound thoroughly (I remember that he actually reached rather deep). I got antibiotics and 2-3 weeks later the wound had healed well.

I hope things work similarly well for you.

Best,
Alex

P.S. on the scar from below and above my belly button, it is of course still visible today, but barely - my belly button is slightly wider, but other than that normal as before.