• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Struggling post flare up...

Hi everyone!
I was diagnosed with Crohn's aged 20 after emergency surgery due to a bowel perforation. I'd always had problems through my teenage years (hospitalised with bowel inflammation and gallstones), but was never diagnosed. I had about 80cm of of terminal ileum removed and recovered well without any symptoms.
I have remained symptom free with a clear MRI scan and colonoscopy, up until 2 weeks ago when I was hospitalised with a small bowel obstruction - so the Crohn's has returned - multifocal in my small bowel.
I've just been put on 40mg Prednisolone, decreasing 5mg each week, with a follow up appointment in 4 weeks where I am being prescribed azathioprine. At the moment I am really struggling with the side effects of the flare up - no pain or symptoms for now but feeling really fatigued - which as a 22 year old studying for final exams is proving difficult!
Anybody experienced anything similar and can offer any advice??

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Sorry you're going through this during exams. Fatigue is very common and I hope it gets better as you recover. Are you able to eat well. I add ensure to my diet when I don't feel like eating much.

I'd also suggest a realistic study schedule. I've never been able to pu an all nighter during exams. Rest when you can. Try and study when at your best. I had to refine my study habits around my crohns. More study reviews through the semester.

Wishing you well in your studies.

For me high doses of pred mess up with the energy levels... I sometimes cwnnot even fall asleep and very energetic for few hours, while some hours I get so very tired. If thats your case too, maybe you can "ride" the energy bursts to get some study done ?

Have you done blood tests to check for deficiencies ? Maybe you are missing iron, b12, vit. d, etc ?

Hopefully you get back to remission soon.

Thanks! Luckily fatigue is my worst symptom, so I am pretty much able to eat and drink as normal (cutting out any potential triggers). Due to the surgery I am B12 deficient so have injections every 10 weeks, then I take Ferrous Sulphate 3x daily.