• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Struggling to find energy

So I'm 29 years old, very active and I find myself about ready to pass out after physical activity. I feel that my body is dehydrated but then again water intake does not help!

A little back ground:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 6 years ago. I had been sick for a long time and just kept getting misdiagnosed. After a year of hell I developed a soft ball size mass in my stomach that constantly pushed on my blatter. I finally just went to the emergency room for the 10th time :)

This time I was getting somewhere, but I got more than I bargained for. A full bowel resectional. I lost several inches of my colon and small.

After 20 days in the hospital I went home 55 pounds lighter and pretty upset. Crohn's has changed my life for the better. I had one more surgery due to scar tissue a year later, but was given great news that my Crohn's was no where to be found.

the last 5 years has been great. Yea the whole bathroom issue is annoying, but I am able to control my Crohn's with diet (no meds). I have not seen a doctor in a long time. Not having insurance make it tough and I've had no reason to go except for staying fatigue lately.

I really think my body is lacking something, but I do understand that I live in humidity heaven.

My whole reason for posting is to see if any one has any advice to what can help give me energy. I know I should go to the doctor and all of that but any advice I can get is greatly appreciated.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

There are a number of reasons you may be fatigued.
1. You might be deficient in something
2. You could be anemic
3. You could have inflammation

Is there anyway you could get blood work done? I think its better to catch it early so you can get better.

Sending you my support.

I got anemic when i was in a flare up. Also having low electrolytes and specifically sodium will make you feel like passing out. When my sodium was low I would stand up and my heart rate would skyrocket and i would lose vision and almost pass out.

DJW

I'm thinking that it is along the lines of a deficiency, because of how it occurs. If I take it easy I'm ok, but when I go play it takes me a while to recover.

I like to be active like lifting weights or playing ultimate frisbee. Here lately it makes me feel like I'm losing power to my legs then the days to come I get pain in my lower back.

It gets betterover time drinking water.

who know? I do need to go to the doctor

DJW

Forum Monitor
Ah. It could be dehydration also. Or a combination.
You may need more than water. Pedialyte is great for rehydration in a pinch.

The beginning of this flare (hell) started with back pain. I still have it. If your joints start hurting too, then you gotta go to the dr. Then you know something's wrong.

Hi and welcome.

There are a number of reasons you may be fatigued.
1. You might be deficient in something
2. You could be anemic
3. You could have inflammation

Is there anyway you could get blood work done? I think its better to catch it early so you can get better.

Sending you my support.
This pretty much sums it up, but I can tell you that vitamin D was a huge help in my energy levels. And if you're anemic, and can't digest the prescription iron they give you (like me), try beat root - it works as good as the prescription stuff (for me) and doesn't make you sick.

nogutsnoglory

The fact that you say it comes and goes and that you get worse after exertion makes me think of post exertional malaise (PEM) which is associated with M.E. or chronic fatigue syndrome. I echo others on getting blood work for iron, b12, d, thyroid levels, folate and such but if those aren't deficient you need to explore further possible causes.

But make sure they check your d levels too! I had all those above mentioned checked like a million times, it was YEARS before I got a doctor who thought to check my vitamin D levels and they were SCARY low.