• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Struggling with bacterial overgrowth Or inflammation?

Hi

It's been almost a year since my surgery and I thought that the diarrhea would be gone by now because the surgeon told me I will have it up to 6 months. But now I have more severe diarrhea that I am unable to go out of my house, I'm always exhausted and I'm starting to have more dizziness and one time I actually passed out. I am really feeling down because I'm an active person and right now I feel so trapped and I have no life.

When I saw my dr and did a stool test he said that I have bacterial overgrowth.
Now I'm starting to have pain at the area of my surgery and I am afraid that my Crohns is back even though the colonoscopy didn't show that.

If it's just bacterial overgrowth It would be really helpful to know if someone has the same thing or if there are any tips on how to make it better because antibiotics seem to help only for a few days and then it would get worse again :ybatty:

I went through that about 7 years ago; specifically a small bowel bacterial overgrowth. It's very difficult to get rid of it and it took almost a year. Eventually I had to go on a predigested enzyme diet for 3 weeks. The diet involves zero food intake but I had to drink an orange flavored liquid that had predigested vitamins, minerals, nutrients and calories. I believe it was called Vivonex. I worked with a doctor at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles. He is considered one of the foremost leaders in the country on bacterial overgrowth. He does mostly research but has a small practice. Here's a link to his bio. Perhaps you can contact him for a consultation. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Bios---Physician/A-G/Jeffrey-Conklin-MD.aspx. I hope this is helpful.

I went through that about 7 years ago; specifically a small bowel bacterial overgrowth. It's very difficult to get rid of it and it took almost a year. Eventually I had to go on a predigested enzyme diet for 3 weeks. The diet involves zero food intake but I had to drink an orange flavored liquid that had predigested vitamins, minerals, nutrients and calories. I believe it was called Vivonex. I worked with a doctor at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles. He is considered one of the foremost leaders in the country on bacterial overgrowth. He does mostly research but has a small practice. Here's a link to his bio. Perhaps you can contact him for a consultation. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Bios---Physician/A-G/Jeffrey-Conklin-MD.aspx. I hope this is helpful.
Thank you so much i will discuss this option with my dr maybe he can help!

Thank you so much i will discuss this option with my dr maybe he can help!
I forgot to mention... I also took a medication called Xifaxan (pronounced "Zy-Fax-In"). It's an antibiotic that works directly in the abdominal area. I'm also thinking that you need to avoid complex carbohydrates but I'm not positive. Sorry but I was very sick at the time and my memory is clouded.

I forgot to mention... I also took a medication called Xifaxan (pronounced "Zy-Fax-In"). It's an antibiotic that works directly in the abdominal area. I'm also thinking that you need to avoid complex carbohydrates but I'm not positive. Sorry but I was very sick at the time and my memory is clouded.
No its okey I dont remember half the things i went through but really thanks ! :hug:

I saw the GI today and he suggested that I take the same antibiotic you mentioned so I felt I'm on the right track now and hopefully I feel better. Thanks a lot for your support!

I went on a rotating regimen of 3 different antibiotics for 1 month. Off for 1 month and then on again. Only did this for 2 months. Dr said this was to avoid becoming immune to antibiotics. It worked for 6 months and then back on again. Diarrhea reduced, fatigue reduced, general better health. I'm having another colonoscopy nov 4th to see how things are doing.