• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Struggling with the idea of a colonoscopy

Hope I’m posting in the right place...
I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and it was horrible and I’ve very mentally scarred so this time I’m going under general anaesthetic.
Im still very anxious about it though especially as I have a phobia of needles: veins.
I’m also mainly dreading the day before where I can’t eat / spending the day in bed.
If anyone has any suggestions that I could to make this time more bareable pl please let me know

scottsma

Thank you, doesn’t help that I don’t know anyone with Crohn’s and I’m only 18 so feeling quite scared and alone.
We have a Young Adults thread you might want to look at Eloise.That's not to say you're not welcome any where else on the forum of course.
Even us oldies dread a colonoscopy/prep.I mean,what is there to like about it.
I just tell myself it's only one day in my life,and there are people going through so much worse.Best wishes to you.:rosette1:

Scipio

Colonoscopies are definitely no fun. I just tell myself that the important goal here is getting the upper hand with the disease. And getting a scope done is part of the price we pay for the knowledge we need to win this fight. Unpleasant? Yes, definitely. But it is tolerable and it is definitely valuable. In other words, it's worth it.

What did they give you the last time? Is it with the same doctor / facility? I've had more of these procedures than I can count on one hand and generally the procedure itself is just a matter of waiting for them to knock me out, then wake up. The prep ahead of time has always been the worst part for me.

Sounds like maybe they didn't give you enough drugs?

Lynda Lynda

I'm prepping right now. Colonoscopy and Endoscopy tomorrow. Drank the first 8oz of Miralax / Gatorade prep. Vomited it all up 2 minutes later. I'm really sicK now.

Maya142

Staff member
Im still very anxious about it though especially as I have a phobia of needles: veins.
If you're afraid of needles, can you get numbing cream put on your arm/hand before they poke you? We have a prescription for it but I think you may be able to buy it over the counter in the UK. Or you could ask your GP.

You can also try Buzzy: https://buzzyhelps.com
You can get Buzzy on Amazon.

Try and stay as hydrated as possible, since that helps them find a vein - I know that's hard of course with the prep.

Are you still at a Children's hospital? I'm guessing you aren't because they didn't use general anesthesia last time. In the US, young adults stay at children's hospitals till 22-23. They always make sure the patient is completely asleep - you won't feel a thing with general anesthesia.

And actually, general anesthesia is often given through a mask (as gas) at Children's hospitals and even adult hospitals. At our hospital, they ask my daughter if she wants to go to sleep via the mask or with an IV. If she says mask, they put in the IV after she is asleep.
So maybe you can request that?

Make sure to tell the nurse you are scared - they will be extra kind to you. And take someone with you for support (and to drive you home!) - your mom or dad or someone else.

Good luck!!

Lynda Lynda

eloise, it is normal to be scared. I have had three colonoscopies and I was fully sedated for every one of them. The staff at my current endoscopy center have always been kind, in addition to the nurses and doctors. My Gastroenterologists office collected all my medical health information before my procedure was scheduled.

I understand your hesitancy to get another colonoscopy if your first experience was a terrible one. My first colonoscopy was performed by a great Gastroenterologist. My second was performed in the hospital. My third colonoscopy was performed by a new Gastroenterologist that I did not know, I got bad vibes from him and his office staff right away.

I trust the Gastroenterologist I have now, even though he has never performed a colonoscopy on me. He seems smart enough to order the right tests and to make wise decisions as far as my health. His office is well known and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I have had many experiences with doctors, hospitals, emergency rooms, etc, Injections, IV, procedures and surgeries and have been treated well. Be assertive and ask and lot of questions because the more informed you are the more comfortable you you feel. I am no expert on anything, I am just basing what I just said by my own personal experiences. Lynda ♡

my little penguin

Staff member
Tips for colonoscopy
Ds was only 7 for his first scope
And is14 now (7-8 scopes layer)

Good movies on your iPad/phone -brand new never seen
Calmoseptin cream for your bum inbetween bathroom visits
Clears fluids -they make organic Gatorade (it’s ckear no dyes) with multiple flavors
Start clean out early
Ds starts around 8 an after a light breakfast (dry toast single egg)
Then times the Gatorade /miralax over the next 6 hours
With one drink per half hour
As an extra drink he chose flat ginger ale pop
This calmed his stomach more

We have zofran at home Incase he gets sick