• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stuck capsule/pill camera

My story... Had a routine capsule endoscopy in January 2013. Unfortunately the camera became stuck. Before it was decided how and when it would be removed I ended up having emergency surgery for a necrotic bowl. The surgery went well but within hours my organs shut down and I was on life support not expected to live. After eight months in hospitals and rehabilitation wards (two months in ICU) I'm finally home but minus my hands and feet. I would greatly appreciate any input from from people who have had issues with stuck pill cameras.

I'm so sorry to hear of all you have been through. I wanted to welcome you to the forum, I hope you find the support and experiences you are looking for.

Catherine

Welcome to the forum. Glad hear your doing better.

I the mum of 18 year old with Crohn's. She is study Textile Design.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Juju99 and :welcome:

Whoa, you have been through so much! :ghug:

We haven’t had any experience of pill cams at our end but there have certainly been other members here that have had them become stuck. They too have required surgery to remove them but IIRC I have not read of anyone having the post op complications that you experienced. :(

Why did you have the pill cam in the first place?

Good to hear you up and about again and kudos to you for overcoming such drastic changes in your life.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks DustKat - I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1988 and have routine endoscopes and colonoscopies every few years since. My GI thought I should have a Pill endoscopy last year just to be certain nothing was happening in my small intestine. Big mistake... BIG mistake!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It is mind boggling what happened to you Juju. :ghug:

Did you become septic after the surgery?

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I can’t even begin to imagine what you have been through and what a shock it must have been when you woke up. :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

Hi, boy you have certainly been the rounds of the table. Since how long has Australia been using pill cameras to do endoscopy's? I have had crohns for 26 years, and over that time have had 3 GI's, one in Victoria, one in QLD, and one in NSW, and I have yet to be offered that type of endoscopy. I wish you all the best, you sound like you are a very strong person. Love Theresa. xxxx

My story... Had a routine capsule endoscopy in January 2013. Unfortunately the camera became stuck. Before it was decided how and when it would be removed I ended up having emergency surgery for a necrotic bowl. The surgery went well but within hours my organs shut down and I was on life support not expected to live. After eight months in hospitals and rehabilitation wards (two months in ICU) I'm finally home but minus my hands and feet. I would greatly appreciate any input from from people who have had issues with stuck pill cameras.

Platitudes seem lame after what you've been through. You're very matter-of-fact about it, but I guess the reality is the reality. I haven't had a stuck pill cam, but I'm looking at going through the procedure, pending a 'dummy cam' passes. Still waiting. Scary thought though. I'm absolutely stunned at what you've been through and hope you're receiving a lot of support in the terrestrial world and that we can assist with support where we're able.

I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal and really admire your attitude. Good on you. No experience with pill cam here either. As some others have said, we've never been offered a pill cam here in Melbourne-only gastroscopy or colonoscopy. Hoping for much better times ahead for you.