• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Study finds prebiotics ineffective at alleviating active Crohn's

Almost the opposite approach of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Don't starve the bad ones, feed the good ones. But if the desirable bacteria aren't in place to begin with, it would seem adding nourishment is only going to feed those possibly undesired microbes which are there. Clearly something's chowing down on the sweets, or you would have all that gas. "Lindsay said that's because of increased fermentation in the gut among prebiotic users.". No kidding.

Thanks for the info.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Whew! I though it was Probiotics, but I havent been using my VSL in almost a month, wanna see how I do without it.

In the SCD diet book, the author forbids prebiotics, as she says they make the problem worse by also feeding the bad bacteria. Probiotics are the way to go, and try to eat foods with natural prebiotics like bananas...

I noticed that whenever I eat yoghurt that has prebiotics in it, I feel crappy and gassy al day (like Dannon Activia for e.g.)..... So now I only eat natural plain yoghurt (strained (Labne in Lebanon) is best as it's easier to digest, or what you call Greek yoghurt in the US and Canada) with probiotcs added if possible...

Last edited:
hmm... i'd be wary of putting too much faith in this one short trial, particularly as, so far, it's findings haven't been officially verified.. "Note that this study was published as an abstract and presented at a conference. These data and conclusions should be considered preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal."

pre and pro biotics are both useful for a healthy gut, whether we're Crohn's sufferers or not, and the prebiotics actually enhance the multiplication of probiotics...

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/Probiotics_Prebiotics_Probiotics_Health_Benefits.shtml

the trial was a double-blind experiment, meaning that both the researchers/physicans and the patients themselves were unaware as to which participants were given the placebo and which were given the prebiotic. however, the statement of it being a double-blind trial is conflicting with a later statement, saying that more people who were on the prebiotic than the placebo dropped out of the trial. in a true double-blind trial, the researchers wouldn't have known that...

i'm not disagreeing with the findings, i'm just pointing out it's not enough evidence to sway our members, or any Crohn's sufferer, from taking prebiotics, as they do have an important part to play in digestion, can help immunity, and the only side effects are an increased gas issue, which usually subsides after the first few days of use anyway...

I think the researchers only find out after the study is done, who was taking the prebiotics. All of the observations and such are done prior to knowing who is taking the prebiotics. At least that is how it is supposed to be done.

Four weeks is not much time to know one way or another when testing something as subtle as this. If the same time frame was used for LDN, it would likely not show much in the way of results either.

When testing a powerful drug, a short time frame may be able to tell you something, but Crohn's does not happen overnight, and resolving the symptoms is likely not going to happen that quickly either.

I wish they would have done a six month trial or longer, as it would have been more valid in my opinion.

Dan