• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Study for teens with ibd and covid vaccines

my little penguin

Staff member
Got the official word
He gets to participate
Bloodwork is done 3 months after first shot so he can get that done now
We schedule at any local Labcorp
And they send you the results in two weeks after that
Second blooddraw at 12 months

First bloodwork will be done at the end of this week provided we get the lab slip in time
I will post here if he has antibodies

Last edited:

my little penguin

Staff member
LabCorp’s Cov2Quant™ IgG test, which is available only for use in clinical trials and research, was developed to specifically detect and quantify antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The level of antibodies is an important indicator of the strength of a person’s immune response, which can help determine the effectiveness of vaccines and therapies. Other COVID-19 antibody tests available in the market are qualitative and detect the presence of antibodies, but do not provide information on the individual’s antibody levels.
Type of antibody test used in the study at unc

cmack

Staff member
I'm happy to hear about this study. I would like to share my experience as a younger (early 40's) adult with Crohn's disease. I have had two Pfizer BioNTech vaccine doses, ten weeks apart. I felt like I needed a day off after both doses. Nothing major... like a hangover or slight flu and a little fever. After a week I noticed nothing unusual at all. I hope this will assure you that I'm okay and am still in remission. I would do it again. It sure beats double pneumonia. My best to all!

Last edited:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
This is the study I am enrolled in. What I like is they actually give you an antibody level as a number (mine was high - 23)- the Johns Hopkins one only tells you positive or negative.

Tesscorm

Staff member
So great that he's enrolled! Will be really interested to hear his result. I'd love to have S participate but seems to be a US study only (will look around to see if there's an equivalent Cdn. study).

I did speak with a company here which runs the spike antibody test (for natural and/or vaccine antibodies) but they have a warning that results may be skewed with immune-compromised patients. Were you, or Lisa, given any info regarding this?

The test available here does give a value, rather than just a positive/negative result (thanks Lisa for bringing this up).

If S's number is low, I'd love for him to get a booster somehow... he has a follow-up to his recent tests soon, so I've asked him to ask his GI what his thoughts are on this. I know Cda isn't give booster shots yet but... IDK... maybe I can find a way with my will! ;)

my little penguin

Staff member
Our Gi stated they are not permitted to do blood draws for antibodies at this time
Basically because they don’t know what the numbers will mean at all
That is what the study is intended to figure out
If there is a magic number
If high values are enough
What zero values or low values mean
What med combos effects have

for Comparison
Most get a tb test yearly when on biologics
We were told any test was fine
Skin prick was easiest so do that from our Gi for years
Saw infectious disease doc once who basically said
Folks on immunosuppressants or biologics should always have the blood test for Tb
Because skin just looks for a reaction but doesn’t let the doc know if due to meds the person is even capable of producing any reaction

blood test - determines if your capable of producing a reaction and then if you actual did react

So a lot of unknowns in the covid antibodies test
It will be at least 18 months before anyone knows how to interpret these results

high result is nice to know
But does the immunosuppressed patient require a higher level etc…

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I did speak with a company here which runs the spike antibody test (for natural and/or vaccine antibodies) but they have a warning that results may be skewed with immune-compromised patients. Were you, or Lisa, given any info regarding this?

The test available here does give a value, rather than just a positive/negative result (thanks Lisa for bringing this up).
No, I wasn't given any information on that - the one study I am part of is specifically for persons with IBD, while the other I believe is just for vaccine response in general.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Makes sense, MLP. Hadn't really thought it through but, of course, with so little info, how do we really know what is a good result... what's good for me, may not be sufficient for someone immune compromised... so reference ranges have only limited value now. He has a trip booked to Vegas at the end of October... just worried that he's reassured now since he's had vaccines, so he won't be taking precautions (that I would take... lol).

I may still have him do the test closer to his trip... all I may accomplish is convince him to wear his mask more but... maybe I'll be reassured with a high number. :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Link to study results so far

Ds results are weird
Stated 92 high
But letter stated negative (outside ref range )
So no idea
Would love to believe they are truly 92

Last edited: