• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stump fissure

I have had a stoma for 7 years now. I still have my rectum and have always had trouble with bleeding and cramping. But the last 6 mos. I have gotten several fissures. How can thatg happen if you're not passing stool or anything thru there anymore?
does anyone else with a stump have this problem? Any way to prevent this from happening again?
I would appreciate your help.....

Hi lari,

I did have this problem but not any more. Had it all removed and it is great. Best decision I could have made.

Kaz xxx

I have been plagued by fissures even after my stoma was installed.
They are nowhere near as excruciating - but are still very painful.
Even mucus poops hurt!
For me - the fissures are a sign of active disease.
I have been taking for Humira for just over six months - this has finally given me relief from the fissures in the past month.

I'm really happy with this - reversal now on the cards.

I wish I could go on Humira. I tried Remicade but during the 2nd infusion I had a really bad reaction.
I hope this problem doesn't keep getting worse.....fissures hurt!!

I am amazed that they are going to do a reversal Samboi. I was told it was not possible due to the active crohns in the rectum. My surgeon said the risk of it reccurring was just too high. But I couldn't tolerate any meds - maybe that was a factor too.

Lari, I remember you asking me about the proctectomy in another thread. You were worried about complications. I was too. But I am so pleased with the outcome and I am free from the disease and pain.

I hope all goes well for you both xx

I'm allowed to get a reversal if I've had 3-6 months of remission.
The Humira is working really well - so have clocked up nearly a month of remission.
Means I will probably get my reversal in Dec or Jan.
I'm thrilled!!