• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sublingual B12 spray?

I am wondering if anyone has had any success with a Sublingual B12 spray? My GI won't prescribe the B12 injections but I am feeling so tired I want to try something and I have read that sublingual absorption may get around the problem of it not being absorbed through the terminal ileum which is damaged.

Not sure if anything works as well as the injections, most people who get them swear by them. I probably have a little over a third of my ileum left to absorb b12, and my levels are kept in the upper range with sublingual forms of b12 (methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin are the most easily absorbable forms--as opposed to cyanocobalamin).

Just take note if it causes upset because the spray, or other sublingual tablets (which take a while to dissolve), often have a little sorbitol (avoid aspartame ones) which can slightly aggravate some people's symptoms.

It may be best to get a sublingual B-complex as some think just boosting b12 alone may cause some sort of imbalance, without adding other Bs and folic acid.

David

Co-Founder
I haven't been able to find any studies in people specifically with Crohn's disease but this might give you a little experiential insight. I think getting above 500pg/ml might be difficult with oral or sublingual formulations but it no doubt depends on the person and how much they're absorbing and reasons for not absorbing B12.

What is your B12 level (I know I've asked you before, sorry!) and why won't your GI prescribe injections? And have you tried asking a GP?

My B12 was 169 last time I had it tested which is within the normal range although right at the bottom end. I think it is an NHS thing that the injections can't be prescribed if the level is 'normal'

The one I have found is from Methylcobalamin although it doesn't have anything else. I am just desperate to try and get rid of this constant tiredness. I guess all I have to lose is the price of the spray.

David

Co-Founder
That they won't prescribe injections at that level is absolutely absurd especially with clinical symptoms present. They're not expensive and there is a whole host of data that affirms that you are very likely deficient. Have you asked your GP and been declined as well? What you may try asking for is for them to test your methylmalonic acid levels. That would prove (or disprove) your deficiency.

Regardless, if I was in your place I'd likely self medicate too. Get retested as often as they're willing so you can continue to adjust your dosage and delivery mechanism if needed. Be scientific about it, don't supplement blindly.

Here in the states we go by pg/ml and there in the UK you go by pmol/L. I'm seeing more and more GIs here in the states wanting their patients above 400pg/ml (295.2pmol/L) and I personally think everyone should get above 500pg/ml (369pmol/L) based upon the studies/papers I've read.

David

Co-Founder
Carmen, each lab is a little different. Here in the USA the reference range is usually around 200pg/ml to 900pg/ml as being "normal". However, that's a TERRIBLE reference range because, as this paper showcases, upwards of 50% of people with a level between 200 and 400pg/ml are in fact deficient.

Welcome to the community by the way :)

Been using Pure Vegan B12 Spray (methylcobalamin 500mcg/spray) for 1½ months.
I didn't do a blood test before starting the spray so can't say much but have noticed more energy.
Had an ileostomy since sept 2013 (after U.C. hit bottom) so unlikely I could get b12 orally and pills didn't seem to work.
P-Cobalamin (blood b12) at 565 currently (180-530). P-Methylmalonate ("MMA b12", ref. to determine b12 defic. low is good) at 0.13 (0.00-0.40).
The spray is my only source of b12 this year (and likely I didn't get any from pills last year, vegan 6 years).
Will post next time I do a test.

I'm in Canada and I'm sure it varies by country, but I recently discovered that B12 injections do not require a prescription. It is available over the counter by just asking at the pharmacy. Perhaps check with your pharmacy if it is the same there and you won't need to rely on a prescription from your doctor.