• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

[Submitted] Do any of the biologics have a lower infection risk?

Hi,
I have severe active upper GI/gastroduodenal Crohn's which initially was treated with prednisolone, then azathioprine, then aza plus adalimumab.Now adalimumab only.

I had aza stopped due to persistent neutropenia and ended up with necrotising fasciitis requiring 7 debridements.
Prior to having Crohns diagnosed aged 40, 2.5 years ago I didn't get infections, even minor viral ones.
Since being on adalimumab I have had 2 episodes of severe sepsis - once chest, once unknown source but blood cultures grew eubacterium lentum so presumed bowel in origin. Also had a couple of less severe infections though both requiring iv antibiotics and the latest is bilateral mastoiditis...ouch.

My question is- do any of the biologics offer less risk of infection or are they all similar in risk. My white cell count is generally around 3-4, often with low lymphs and neuts.
My disease is only really controlled with weekly injections, but I have only have had that for a couple of months last year and also currently. It was reduced back to 2 weekly due to my infection risk.
If I do not have adalimumab my upper GI tract tries its best to perforate or exsanguinate me...I had 7 units blood in 24 hours last tuesday.

My other question is - does having weekly injections of adalimumab increase your risk of infection over having 2 weekly or is the risk simply related to being on it regardless of dosing. My white count does not alter on the weekly regime.

Last edited: