• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Subway Woes...No Subway Diet for me?

Ok...So WHY can't I eat at Subway!?
It seems that every time I go there, no matter what I eat, I get INCREDIBLY sick???
I don't have a wheat allergy, and do FINE with other breads and wheat products...but regardless of the meats or toppings, I get TERRIBLY ill???

Saturday I had a Subway Club with only meat and honey mustard, water to drink...and with in an hour I was in EXCRUCIATING pain...and bound to the restroom for the rest of the afternoon.???

Any one else have issues at Subway, blimpies, quiznos, Firehouse etc..??? I generally can eat Quizno's fine...which is REALLY strange...SAME sandwich different store?

i have always thought that subway's food handling and ingredient quality is questionable at best... i've been sick on subway a few times, and prefer to just make my own sandwiches at home now.

i wonder if the bread is really fresh at Subway, as in too fresh for people with sensitive stomachs. i know when i've had home made bread, it's easier to digest the next day after baking.

Mrclayto said:
Ok...So WHY can't I eat at Subway!?
It seems that every time I go there, no matter what I eat, I get INCREDIBLY sick???
I don't have a wheat allergy, and do FINE with other breads and wheat products...but regardless of the meats or toppings, I get TERRIBLY ill???

Saturday I had a Subway Club with only meat and honey mustard, water to drink...and with in an hour I was in EXCRUCIATING pain...and bound to the restroom for the rest of the afternoon.???

Any one else have issues at Subway, blimpies, quiznos, Firehouse etc..??? I generally can eat Quizno's fine...which is REALLY strange...SAME sandwich different store?
Subway causes me issues too, I always assumed its the processed meat and lettuce. It frustrating because I can eat crappy McDonalds and not have the same problems I do when I try to eat a "healthier" take out food.

I would guess it is the bread also. It probably has a lot of yeast in it, and fresh bread is harder on the stomach than older bread.

I would test yourself for a possible yeast allergy. But, this can cause trouble for anyone. My Grandmother used to make home made bread, and if we ate too much of it at a time, we would get a belly ache.

I still get real gassy from white bread.

Dan

You may also have a preservative allergy and the preservative they use in their breads and meats and such may be causing you problems. I have never had any problems before with Subway and I worked there for almost a year. I handled the food properly and always washed my hands for 20 seconds and always handled meats and breads with gloves but others did not. I took culinary classes in high school and some of the employees as well as the owners habits made me sick sometimes.

Are you always going to the same Subway? or different ones? I have gotten sick at Subway before. Sometimes I question how cold they keep the meat and mayo.

Meat that sits too long, even refrigerated can have Listeria bacteria on it. If you have ever seen sliced beef with a rainbow like sheen, it is the Listeria bacteria on it.

Listeria is also one of the suspected pathogens that is possibly involved with Crohn's. I personally do not think it is a main cause of symptoms, but it is possible it is a secondary infection in some cases.

Dan

D Bergy said:
Meat that sits too long, even refrigerated can have Listeria bacteria on it. If you have ever seen sliced beef with a rainbow like sheen, it is the Listeria bacteria on it.
ughh!! i have seen that before on subway roast beef!
it reminded me of how an oil slick looks on a road, you know?
ew i will NOT be getting roast beef from subway anymore. probably no subway at all, that is disturbing.

lol I get a herbs and cheese 12 inch toasted with onions and green peppers, then i get them to microwave the chicken strips, when it's done I have them put on the sweet onion sauce and a little lettuce. Too bad I can't have the lettuce anymore though because it was an awesome balance. I learned the different combos.

Also, a meatball sub on white with the chipotle sauce is suprisingly good.

if i go to Subway i always have the kids meal (it's a third of the foot long), & i just have ham & cheese toasted.. seem to be ok on that.

however, the few times i've had KFC chicken i've been poorly - so we don't go there any more.

I prefer popeyes, maybe it's a southern thing. Oddly enough, it treats me better now than it did when I was fine...

I too Love popeyes... I love their Mashed Potatoes and Gravy! Awesome!

I had a GI appointment at Noon and had Subway for lunch...
I changed to white bread...SO FAR SO GOOD! ill keep this posted!

You southerners and your Popeye's....silly southerners.....

I love Culvers burgers....mmmmm.....freshly slaughtered cow chunks.......*drools like Homer*

Can't really eat Culvers that well anymore, though...but that didn't stop me from trying last year....

Subway...kills me...I actually really like it, and always get the turkey sub, no cheese, just lettuce, meat, and sauce...sometimes some pickles if I'm feeling especially good...but everytime...it has me in the can. So does Quiznos. McDonalds...I have NO problem with, as long as it's a chicken sandwich. I can't do beef. period.

man! reading everyones food intolerances on here makes me feel lucky!
i never see a difference in my symptoms based on what i eat. i can eat just about anything and not feel extra worse than i already do! (well, talking prior to being bagged...now im taking it slow)
so no matter how bad i felt, i could always at least eat what i wanted and not pay for it lol

Fast food is about as unhealthy as sit-down food in general. It's about choices. I could get 2 grilled chicken Go-Wraps and a side salad with fat free ranch at Wendy's and it'll be hard to beat the nutrition and value. That would run me about $4.70, and would have massive amounts of protein and vitamins and minerals, minimally processed... There's a stigma about "fast food" but it's about the choices implemented. I like that it can be cheap as hell for fairly healthy food.

Look at the nutrition facts for an Onion Blossom or Nacho's appetizer from one of those places like Chili's, and your cholesterol will jump for a few minutes.

I don't think it matters as much WHAT you are eating as much as it is HOW it is prepared.

I can eat at a fast food place one time and do fine, but then the next time at the same fast food place I am doubled over in pain for hours!!

I try not to eat it too much, though. a 50/50 chance of ending up in the potty usually deters me.

ladyB said:
a 50/50 chance of ending up in the potty usually deters me.

What is the diameter of this potty you speak of?

:tongue:

I have to wonder if the sanitation practices alone can swing the symptoms of an immune-based disease, "Employees must wash hands before returning to work".....suuuuurree....

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
BWS1982 said:
"Employees must wash hands before returning to work".....suuuuurree....
Here's a gross one for ya'-
I worked at a restaranut where someone an employee used the bathroom, kept their gloves on, washed their hands with their gloves on, and then went back to making food.
Now really - is that different that washing bare hands then making food? It's probably the same, but sure does seem absolutely disgusting!

I never saw ANYthing else gross at that restaurant and I worked many hours there through high school and college.

BWS1982 said:
What is the diameter of this potty you speak of?
hahaha you give people SUCH a hard time! and i love it:D too funny.

eww mbh im with you, that is gross. even though it is essentially the same as washing bare hands, but still. that means they wiped with their gloves. not a pretty picture in my mind

bws - yeah, i also get the feeling that sanitation practices can affect those of us with tender tummies...

mbh - that's just gross! i don't think it's the same as washing bare hands at all... you're supposed to wash up past your wrists, and if you did that with gloves on the water would get inside... flushing in all of those germs with it. ugh! yeeesh!

I'm just happy to see the major 3 Fast food giants virtually (but not 100%) removing trans fats from the fried items, McDonalds was the last one to go with the ball in their court, and they finally made their move in the last couple months sometime. I wish they would have advertised it like the others, but I'm guessing they didn't want to add credibility to the mounds of claims that faced them over the years about bad it was with trans fats, they didn't want to validate the naysayers by making a big deal about the current 0 trans fat status. Wendy's was first to do it about 2 or 3 years ago almost now, and BK did it last year sometime I believe.

I've noticed in the stores, all the generic brands (except for Keebler, stupid elves are old-fashioned) are the ones still waiting to remove or reduce trans fats, all the name brands like Nabisco and Con Agra Foods etc.. seem to have greatly reduced/eliminated trans fats, while the no-name knockoffs still have several grams per serving sometimes....

My Butt Hurts said:
Here's a gross one for ya'-
I worked at a restaranut where someone an employee used the bathroom, kept their gloves on, washed their hands with their gloves on, and then went back to making food.
Now really - is that different that washing bare hands then making food? It's probably the same, but sure does seem absolutely disgusting!

I never saw ANYthing else gross at that restaurant and I worked many hours there through high school and college.
My question is...why didn't they just change the gloves??? Some people are lacking brain cells...i swear.

i still think that histamine plays a role in all this.. and subway would be loaded with it base on the foods that have large amounts of natural histamine being the same ingredients on a subway sandwich no matter which one it is.

Hummm I was wondering why I was always sick everytime I ate subway. Maybe 30 min to 1 hour after Id be in the bathroom for the rest of the day, bad cramps and all. No matter what I ate, at first I thought it was the bread so I switched to the wrap, or id have the salad and holly cow I am sick no matter what i eat there. Ill have it occasionally but its a pain. When you guys travel , road trip... what can you eat, where do you eat out?