• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Success Story yet?

Back in 2017, I ended up with 3 abscesses over the course of 7 months which turned into fistulae. Since then, I have been on prednisone and azathioprine while my fistula kept oozing green/yellow liquid with fevers after bowel movement.

After a lot of going back-and-forth with CRS and GI medicine, my doctors finally agreed to put me on Remsima (aka Infliximab) around 3 weeks ago. As I use my gauze all the time, I noticed there was no more stains on my gauze-pads after my first infusion. I no longer pass gas through my fistulae so I decided to stop using my gauze.

I noticed that my clothes are being soiled by transparent liquid instead which is why I didn't detect it in the gauze. As I no longer pass gas through the hole, I am assuming it is healing from inside-out.

I am just wondering if this normal part of the healing process? I wouldn't be seeing my doctors for another few weeks.

(FYI) I do not have a seton in place as that's where the CRS and GI had difference in opinion and agreed to put me on biologics without a seton.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hey there - glad to hear the Remsima seems to be working! I have been on remicade for years, and if I recall correctly my fistulae started to heal within a month. I'm not sure about the secretions - but it does sound fairly normal - most likely mucous during the healing process. If there is no color/smell I would not be too concerned, and hopefully it will continue to decrease!

thank you. As i was not getting any stains on my gauze, I told my GI that the fistulae seem to have healed and wouldn't have another appointment for 4 weeks. I only realised it after stopping using the gauze pads that I was having transparent leakages.