• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Success with SCD

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum so thought I'd introduce myself.
I was diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago at the age of 43, after a huge flare. Before that I thought I had IBS and followed a gluten free, sugar free diet as I felt much better eating that way.
AFter my diagnosis, my GI said there was nothing diet related that I could do and suggested all the usual drugs. I was very reluctant and did some googling and found the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
I started SCD & didn't start taking the drugs that were prescribed for me. My GP was reluctant and said she would retest my blood in 6 weeks. She was amazed with my near perfect blood work after 6 weeks and in another 6 weeks my tests were perfect. I'm so thankful that that is where they've stayed for the past 2 years. I only have crohn's symptoms when I stray from the diet.
If anyone is interested, I've blogged my journey at an aussie with crohns dot com (where I also post my SCD recipes.)
I've also just started a new website full of SCD recipes from different bloggers around the world. It's at SCDelish dot com
I hope you'll stop by and have a look.
:) Deb

Hi Deb:

My daughter tried the usual drugs (6MP, prednisone, Remicade, etc.) for five years without any lasting relief. For the past year she has been med-free and is having success controlling her symptoms by increasing her Vitamin D & folic acid intake along with following a modified SCD diet (basically restricting her yeast & sugar intake). We are always looking for tasty SCD diet recipes so I'll definately checkout your site. Thanks! So glad to hear you are doing so well without any meds!!